evgn

Will AI take my data job

3 posts in this topic

I have been pursing my carreer in as aa data analyst for 2 years. I will change my company soon for better salary. 

The problem is that i see lots of people talking about ai taking over tech jobs so i do not know if its worth it to pursue this carrer or change it while i have time.

I am 30 years old already.

Posted (edited)

It will, and I'd say in the near future (5-10 years? Just my guess). But try not to think of it so much as taking your job in an absolute sense as more like, AI will push people out of jobs, making them all have to compete for less. So less jobs will be available and more fierce competition for those same jobs. Of course, if a company can automatically eliminate you with AI for cheap enough pricing... that's even better, and they will gladly do it. But for now it is still a little too expensive to make that kind of investment for most companies where they can completely just eliminate all data analysts.

So more like AI will just do a lot of the data analyst jobs, and then the people that are in the field where a company cannot replace AI with yet will just force everyone to compete for less job openings. Many tech jobs and basic level programmers, coders... etc are in danger of losing their jobs in the next decade or so. The future is honestly scary.

Edited by TheEnigma

AI doesn't automate jobs as much as it automates specific tasks (this is true for all forms automation). If your job consists of essentially a single task, then you have good reason to be worried.

I don't know about the intricacies of being a data analyst as a job, but as general advice I would ask how can you make yourself more indispensable to your industry? Do you need to acquire new skills in order for that to happen or take on more responsibilities?