Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bebotalk

Inconsistency or hypocrisy?

25 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bebotalk said:

We just have different definitions of hypocrisy. 

Definitions dont work like that, like a definition isnt an opinion, your understanding of it might be different but i guess thats what the conversation is for we're trying to come to an understanding. 

What would you say your definition of hypocritical behaviour is?

Edited by Consept

5 minutes ago, Consept said:

Definitions dont work like that, like a definition isnt an opinion, your understanding of it might be different but i guess thats what the conversation is for we're trying to come to an understanding. 

Let’s start by asking ourselves what the definition of understanding is. 

“I once tried to explain existential dread to my toaster, but it just popped up and said, "Same."“ -Gemini AI

8 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Let’s start by asking ourselves what the definition of understanding is. 

We could go back forever on definitions but dictionary definition is 'ability to comprehend something'. So for example if we ask 'what is a dog?' you know that a dog is a mammal and have a general understanding of what that is, so if i say dog we can communicate as you understand what im referring to. 

With ideas its slightly different because theres not a physical representation of what i mean and it relies on your understanding of the idea to have a conversation around that idea. So for example, if i understand the idea of hypocrisy to mean behaviour that contradicts what one believes or feels (dictionary definition) and you believe it to mean 'behaviour that contradicts what one believes or feels UNLESS I feel its justified', then its basically impossible to have a conversation around it as we are talking about two different things. 

4 hours ago, Consept said:

of course they work like that. people have different conceptions. thag's life. i believe your church/spirital grounding has clouded your mind.

11 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

of course they work like that. people have different conceptions. thag's life. i believe your church/spirital grounding has clouded your mind.

So what's your definition, you did t answer?

This is the definition of definition btw - a statement of the exact meaning of a word, especially in a dictionary.

Edited by Consept