Theprofessional

Crushing your passion into nothing as a way to self-actualize?

4 posts in this topic

“Gone. Reduced to atoms.”

Hello, I’m sure you’ve seen Leo’s video “how to ace life.” I watched it many years ago and have tried to follow its message routinely: in any situation, if you do what is emotionally most challenging, then that is the right choice.

I’m a filmmaker in my 20’s, and I went through some creative blocks as a teenager when I got into self-actualizing and spirituality. I stopped being able to make films, I lost all my passion for it. I still thought about it every day though. The few times I was able to “do the emotionally most difficult thing” and rally a cast and crew together to shoot something anyway, and brute-force my way through it with zero vision, this only resulted in films that were total shit and humiliating experiences for me.

I feared my passion would never return. But in the past few years, it’s slowly been building back up again from traveling and college and reading lots of books.

Now I’m reaching this place again where I’m passionate and telling stories I actually want to tell with my films again. I’m feeling the magic in the process, the deep sense of connection, inspiration. I didn’t know if I’d ever get here again.

But also, I know that to do what’s right, I have to do what is most emotionally challenging in every situation. Even with making films, this thing that so close to my heart.

So, what now? The thing that is emotionally most difficult is to now crush my passion into dust. This thing I worked so hard to build up again, I have to stomp it out over and over. Stomp it into nothing.

This makes me feel really bad.

I started writing a short story to make into a film two nights ago and was so inspired by everyhing about it. I went to sleep with a rush, a high from thinking about making it.

But I knew what I had to do then. The most emotionally challenging thing. I convinced myself that this story was actually horrible and embarassing, and that I hate this creative process I’m in, and I hate all the ideas in this potential film.

Stripped of inspiration and vision, now I go back to it and it’s like losing part of your spirit. It’s like removing your own eyes and having to hike a trail.

The stories are turning out worse and I’m doubting my passion of making films again.

But I know this is the right thing to do.

Am I doing this right? I’ve never had to push myself emotionally with my other passions, such as playing instruments  or hiking. Even at their most challenging points, it was thrilling, not grueling.

Does anyone know what I’m talking about?

On 14/02/2024 at 0:15 AM, Theprofessional said:

So, what now? The thing that is emotionally most difficult is to now crush my passion into dust. This thing I worked so hard to build up again, I have to stomp it out over and over. Stomp it into nothing.

Hi there :D

I apologise if I have misunderstood your post, but from what I can see I believe you are taking Leo’s advice out of context. 

‘doing the emotionally difficult thing’ is used in the context when you know (with your heart and intuition) that something is right for you, but your mind projects all kinds of fears, limiting beliefs to keep you rooted where you are.

What Leo is trying to convey is a transition to love and freedom from fear. This is emotionally difficult because you need to overcome fear (and follow love/passion).

Life is complex and nuanced. Do not expect a single rule to carry you through life. If you do, be sure you understand its proper context. 

For example, if you are stood on a cliff edge. The simple thing to do is to stand where you are safe. Now you could say it may be emotionally challenging to leap off to your death, but that does not mean you should do it!

Hopefully you can see this advice has been totally misapplied in this scenario.

Your specific case can be re-framed. The emotionally difficult thing to do, is to learn, improve and create something better with your film making after your humiliating experience. To continue and consciously improve your skills in spite of adversity.

Your stories can help inspire many people (if that is your goal). Is that something worth pursuing? 

Somehow you have interpreted ‘doing the emotionally difficult thing’ as destroying your passion. This is not what this advice means.

Perhaps something to help is to ask yourself:

• How much self-love is this action showing right now? 
  • Will this make me truly happy in the long term?

Remember this is about overcoming fear, and limitation. It is NOT about self-sabotage or curbing your passion.

On 14/02/2024 at 0:15 AM, Theprofessional said:

But I know this is the right thing to do.

Am I doing this right? 

These statements seem to contradict, which suggests you are already questioning yourself. You need to figure out which voice is fear and which is love. Then think about which one you want to listen to and why.

I think you can turn this around with some optimism, passion, bravery but also having a realistic outlook on how you are progressing.

Remember that every advice has its context, even this one.

Good luck brother! Am rooting for you :D

just do films, enjoy the process and dont obsess over optimizing your effort. Drop the concept of doing the most emotionally challenging thing, it has turned into an OCD for you. Drop that concept and take on " follow your passion " instead.

If you purposefully not follow your passion to inflict yourself pain so that you can practice bearing it, you will be eventually miserable and depressed. Practice bearing the pain when it's absolutely unavoidable.

Your point is very twisted from a common sense POV but I know what you mean. Definitely don't do that if you want to enjoy your life.

Edited by mmKay

World's #1 Spiritual Twerking Coach 🍑

It’s important to use discernment when applying these types of concepts. Notice these two seemingly contradicting points Leo teaches:

1. Doing what is emotionally difficult is important for a good life

2. Follow your bliss

… these are two, seemingly contradictory points, actually are one and the same. 

If you are destroying your passions and vision you are doing is wrong. 

If you are doing the emotional labour of creating things, getting experience and self actualizing I’d say that’s more idea.

Being creative is emotionally difficult, being disciplined, being a visionary, creating a good life… this is difficult. 

A hammer should be used to build, but can also be used to injure and destroy. Ideas are the same way. Be careful!

Both of these ideas are ideally oriented toward positively developing your life.

If you are crushing your passion, love, creativity I to dust you are misapplying the idea of doing what is most emotionally difficult. You should follow your bliss, which may be the most difficult thing.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"