Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thought Art

Alternative Math

8 posts in this topic

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

It's still relative. You could change the axioms. 

@Jannes What do you mean

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

@Jannes @Thought Art  If you change the axioms regarding the syntax then 2+2 could be 22, but I don't think as Jannes suggests that by changing the simple axioms of math you could get 22 by adding 2 and 2.

If instead you create arbitrary composite axioms then you can always get 22 by adding 2 and 2, the challenge then would be to have a consistent system.

A simple axiom would be something like "the smallest conceivable quantity can not be a plurality", this may be provable within a system of other axioms but it is also what we should call simple because the concept of the predicate and the concept of the subject can not apply to some experiences as opposed to others (applies to all experiences without exception).

A predicate in general states that some subject is in some way, a particular predicate is the given way one says that the subject is, a subject can be anything.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

For me this video showed the importance of humans sharing certain models and paradigms. And, also the fact that we DO have established systems for mathematics that shape our world. 

The use of alternative math systems are possible, but would they be adopted? 

◭"89"

13 hours ago, Thought Art said:

For me this video showed the importance of humans sharing certain models and paradigms. And, also the fact that we DO have established systems for mathematics that shape our world. 

Yes I completely agree. I would add though that that still isnt truth. Some people confuse general consensus about things with actual truth. But those are entirely different things. That is missing in the video a bit. 

13 hours ago, Thought Art said:

The use of alternative math systems are possible, but would they be adopted? 

Of course. You can have systems with new numbers or different arithmetic operator and what not. Sometimes it's of use and sometimes not. Last is called pure math. Math without a purpose. 

@Jannes Yeah, tricky

◭"89"

Posted (edited)

It's an issue of double-standards. The reason this alt math thing is a problem is because the alt math people don't actually use alt math, they use standard math.

You could have an alt math, but then everyone would have to agree to it. So it's a matter of convention.

Some maths describe some parts of reality while other maths describe other parts of reality.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.