Cosmic-Resplendence

“Thinking and Destiny” by Harold Percival

3 posts in this topic

I discovered Harold Percival about a year ago, and his 1080 page book “Thinking and Destiny”. This book is very obscure, not very many people know or have even heard of it. I believe Mr. Percival was spontaneously awakening, or self actualizing, back during the early part of the last century. Its interesting since I doubt there was any information specifically on Self Actualization, and Eastern philosophical books were probably rare information in the West, around his time, before the 1940s. 

This book is dense, you have to really think about what you are reading on each page, and you’ll likely have to re-read parts to even grasp the meaning. How exactly does a person write a thousand page book like this? In the preface he talks about how the information came to him after becoming “conscious of Consciousness.” -Notice the capital “C”. I believe he’s talking about greater mind, higher consciousness, (Atman / Turiya) there. However he states that it didn’t come from being in a trance. Here’s a little bit in his own words…

”The special purpose of this book is: To tell the conscious selves in human bodies that we are inseparable doer parts of consciously immortal individual trinities, Triune Selves, who, within and beyond time, lived with our great thinker and knower parts in perfect sexless bodies in the Realm of Permanence; that we, the conscious selves now in human bodies, failed in a crucial test, and thereby exiled ourselves from that Realm of Permanence into this temporal man and woman world of birth and death and re-existence; that we have no memory of this because we put ourselves into a self-hypnotic sleep, to dream; that we will continue to dream through life, through death and back again to life; that we must continue to do this until we de-hypnotize, wake, ourselves out of the hypnosis into which we put ourselves; that, however long it takes, we must awake from our dream, become conscious of ourselves as ourselves in our bodies, and then regenerate and restore our bodies to everlasting life in our home—The Realm of Permanence from which we came—which permeates this world of ours, but is not seen by mortal eyes. Then we will consciously take our places and continue our parts in the Eternal Order of Progression. The way to accomplish this is shown in chapters which follow.”

Here’s a bit more from Wikipedia… 

“In 1893, and twice during the next 14 years, Percival had the unique experience of being "conscious of Consciousness," a potent spiritual and noetic enlightenment.[3] He stated that the value of that experience was that it enabled him to know about any subject by a process he called "real thinking." Because these experiences revealed to him more than was contained in Theosophy, he wanted to share this knowledge with humanity.”

Parts of it get pretty esoteric, especially towards the back of the book. Regardless I believe there’s a wealth of deep hidden gems of spiritual wisdom contained within the pages. 

One thing to realize when reading the material, is that Percival uses his own terminology which might take some figuring out. For example the “Doer” means the “Self” and the “Thinker” means higher mind or “Buddhi” from Eastern philosophy. There are others as well. There’s a lot of Eastern philosophical influence in Percival’s work, especially in relation the the self.

You can download and read the full PDF of the book at the Word Foundation’s website. They are only there to continue passing along the work of Harold Percival.

The Word Foundation

Its an interesting book, but of course use your own discernment towards the information contained within. 

Edited by Cosmic-Resplendence

Coincidentally, I heard about him a few days ago.

Not familiar with his teachings; they might be worth a look.

Edited by UnbornTao

@Cosmic-Resplendence

On 2024-02-01 at 3:55 PM, Cosmic-Resplendence said:

I discovered Harold Percival about a year ago, and his 1080 page book “Thinking and Destiny”. This book is very obscure, not very many people know or have even heard of it. I believe Mr. Percival was spontaneously awakening, or self actualizing, back during the early part of the last century. Its interesting since I doubt there was any information specifically on Self Actualization, and Eastern philosophical books were probably rare information in the West, around his time, before the 1940s. 

This book is dense, you have to really think about what you are reading on each page, and you’ll likely have to re-read parts to even grasp the meaning. How exactly does a person write a thousand page book like this? In the preface he talks about how the information came to him after becoming “conscious of Consciousness.” -Notice the capital “C”. I believe he’s talking about greater mind, higher consciousness, (Atman / Turiya) there. However he states that it didn’t come from being in a trance. Here’s a little bit in his own words…

”The special purpose of this book is: To tell the conscious selves in human bodies that we are inseparable doer parts of consciously immortal individual trinities, Triune Selves, who, within and beyond time, lived with our great thinker and knower parts in perfect sexless bodies in the Realm of Permanence; that we, the conscious selves now in human bodies, failed in a crucial test, and thereby exiled ourselves from that Realm of Permanence into this temporal man and woman world of birth and death and re-existence; that we have no memory of this because we put ourselves into a self-hypnotic sleep, to dream; that we will continue to dream through life, through death and back again to life; that we must continue to do this until we de-hypnotize, wake, ourselves out of the hypnosis into which we put ourselves; that, however long it takes, we must awake from our dream, become conscious of ourselves as ourselves in our bodies, and then regenerate and restore our bodies to everlasting life in our home—The Realm of Permanence from which we came—which permeates this world of ours, but is not seen by mortal eyes. Then we will consciously take our places and continue our parts in the Eternal Order of Progression. The way to accomplish this is shown in chapters which follow.”

Here’s a bit more from Wikipedia… 

“In 1893, and twice during the next 14 years, Percival had the unique experience of being "conscious of Consciousness," a potent spiritual and noetic enlightenment.[3] He stated that the value of that experience was that it enabled him to know about any subject by a process he called "real thinking." Because these experiences revealed to him more than was contained in Theosophy, he wanted to share this knowledge with humanity.”

Parts of it get pretty esoteric, especially towards the back of the book. Regardless I believe there’s a wealth of deep hidden gems of spiritual wisdom contained within the pages. 

One thing to realize when reading the material, is that Percival uses his own terminology which might take some figuring out. For example the “Doer” means the “Self” and the “Thinker” means higher mind or “Buddhi” from Eastern philosophy. There are others as well. There’s a lot of Eastern philosophical influence in Percival’s work, especially in relation the the self.

You can download and read the full PDF of the book at the Word Foundation’s website. They are only there to continue passing along the work of Harold Percival.

The Word Foundation

Its an interesting book, but of course use your own discernment towards the information contained within. 

Sounds interesting, will check it out!

Not to be confused by Harold Jellicoe Percival, the war veteran that died about 10 years ago.☺