Carl-Richard

Rupert Sheldrake and Bernardo Kastrup

4 posts in this topic

As I was watching the Holberg debate live with Rupert Sheldrake, Anil Seth and Tanya Luhrmann, I was thinking many times throughout the debate that it would've been perfect if they had on a philosopher with a background in philosophy of mind as well as science to settle some of the philosophical terms straight and perhaps bring his own perspective to the questions (which of course would be Bernardo Kastrup). Speaking of the devil:

I used to view Sheldrake as nothing more than Terrence McKenna's lap dog (and a slightly kooky one at that), but as I've listened to him more over time, I have to say that he is a truly well-rounded thinker, philosophically, scientifically and spiritually. The overlap between him and Kastrup is striking (which is not surprising as Kastrup has apparently followed him for 25 years). I came across a quote from Deepak Chopra saying something along the lines of "Sheldrake will be remembered the same way Einstein is remembered today for his revolutionary contributions to science" (referring to his contributions and activism around psychic research). I had a similar thought one time, albeit not as specific as that. I think there is something to the future of psychic research in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard

11 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

As I was watching the Holberg debate live with Rupert Sheldrake, Anil Seth and Tanya Luhrmann, I was thinking many times throughout the debate that it would've been perfect if they had on a philosopher with a background in philosophy of mind as well as science to settle some of the philosophical terms straight and perhaps bring his own perspective to the questions (which of course would be Bernardo Kastrup). Speaking of the devil:

I used to view Sheldrake as nothing more than Terrence McKenna's lap dog (and a slightly kooky one at that), but as I've listened to him more over time, I have to say that he is a truly well-rounded thinker, philosophically, scientifically and spiritually. The overlap between him and Kastrup is striking (which is not surprising as Kastrup has apparently followed him for 25 years). I came across a quote from Deepak Chopra saying something along the lines of "Sheldrake will be remembered the same way Einstein is remembered today for his revolutionary contributions to science" (referring to contributions and activism around psychic research). I had a similar thought one time, albeit not as specific as that. I think there is something to the future of psychic research in the grand scheme of things.

Fantastic, although another rage quit from Bernard would've been nice.

Interestingly, the sometimes wild cases of psychosomatic disorders (e.g. functional blindness, functional paralysis, dissociative seizures) seem to serve as a bridge towards psychic research in that it obliterates the notion that matter causes mind and not the other way around.

As the speaker suggests, the stigma around psychosomatic disorders as being "not real" and "all in your head" is something that needs to change for medicine to be able to deal with these disorders adequately, and that puts us closer to the idea that mind's effect on the world has equal scientific significance to matter.

By the way, my recent increased intrigue with psychic phenomena has indeed only awoken recently despite my rather extensive list of personal experiences with it and intuitive inclinations, which goes to show the level of strength of the grip that materialism has on the mind and which proves the indispensible value of people like Sheldrake and Kastrup. When the culture gaslights you about your experiences, it takes somebody to ungaslight you to not feel crazy.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.