Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Epikur

Mimetic Theory of Desire | Daniel Schmachtenberger and Lex Fridman

7 posts in this topic

I dont now how to call the tone of voice of Daniel but this trembeling in his voice like someone who just wake up in the morning make difficult to hesr him even if he speak nice thing, and the other guy is like someone on drugs, like lazy . My Bias but affect my capacity to get infomation from them

@Rafael Thundercat

AI Bing Summary:

The video is a conversation between Daniel Schmachtenberger and Lex Fridman about the mimetic theory of desire, which is an explanation of human behavior and culture proposed by René Girard.

The main idea of mimetic theory is that human desire is not innate or autonomous, but imitative and influenced by models who endow objects with value.

Mimetic desire can lead to positive outcomes, such as learning, cooperation, and innovation, but also to negative outcomes, such as rivalry, conflict, and violence.

Mimetic desire is often unconscious and hidden, and people tend to rationalize their desires as being their own and based on objective reasons.

Mimetic desire can be influenced by various factors, such as scarcity, social status, media, and technology, which can amplify or manipulate the mimetic process.

Mimetic desire can be transformed or transcended by various means, such as self-awareness, empathy, non-attachment, and spirituality, which can help people overcome their mimetic impulses and find more authentic and fulfilling ways of living.

Obviously your desires are influenced by culture.

Why call it these silly names like "memetic desire"?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura

I guess because the guy is french and that is cool. 
I made another thread with a better title about this.

Posted (edited)

Schmach loves to use needless jargon.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

better call Monkey Desire, a monkey see another monkey snifing ass and he think it must be a good thing. Monkey snif ass and discovery is a good thing and share to every other monkey that snif ass is a deligthfull thing to do