Devin

Narcissistic Parent Recovery

4 posts in this topic

Anyone have any therapy exercise recommendations or anything for someone that grew up with narcissistic parents?

am a bit reluctant to give this

https://www.reddit.com/r/raisedbynarcissists/

since the problem with identifying with this trauma is it keeps you deeply entrenched in it

if you adopt a victim identity, you can stay that way your whole life

being a victim makes one a hater and that isn't a good life path

in truth the one's who treated you worst were the ones from whom you grew the most

they dropped you right at the door of truth if you could but see it

@gettoefl Thank you, I agree, and those last parts are very beautiful.

"in truth the one's who treated you worst were the ones from whom you grew the most

they dropped you right at the door of truth if you could but see it"

I am working on being too critical and insecurity, I think it stems from mostly my childhood with my parents narcissistic behavior and thought there may be some nuance to be addressed with that. Journaling and processing it with meditation seems to help a lot, just figured there's other exercises.

Edited by Devin

8 minutes ago, Devin said:

@gettoefl Thank you, I agree, and those last parts are very beautiful.

"in truth the one's who treated you worst were the ones from whom you grew the most

they dropped you right at the door of truth if you could but see it"

I am working on being too critical and insecurity, I think it stems from mostly my childhood with my parents narcissistic behavior and thought there may be some nuance to be addressed with that. Journaling and processing it with meditation seems to help a lot, just figured there's other exercises.

yes i feel you, have been through the same and it has been agonizing at times being maladjusted in this way

journaling and meditation are excellent tools for your healing and i think meditation is what got me to see it all through a clearer lens

therapy may be worth undertaking if you feel you are being paralysed by this, it wasn't something that was accessible or suitable for me

hope you make a dent with this horrible dysfunction, all the best to you and thank you for your loving energy