Thought Art

Powerful Quote Og Mandino

6 posts in this topic

“I will persist until I succeed.
I was not delivered unto this world in defeat, nor does failure course in my veins. I am not a sheep waiting to be prodded by my shepherd. I am a lion and I refuse to talk, to walk, to sleep with the sheep. I will hear not those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious. Let them join the sheep. The slaughterhouse of failure is not my destiny.
I will persist until I succeed.
The prizes of life are at the end of each journey, not near the beginning; and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary in order to reach my goal. Failure I may still encounter at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road. Never will I know how close it lies unless I turn the corner.
Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.
Henceforth, I will consider each day’s effort as but one blow of my blade against a mighty oak. The first blow may cause not a tremor in the wood, nor the second, nor the third. Each blow, of itself, may be trifling, and seem of no consequence. Yet from childish swipes the oak will eventually tumble. So it will be with my efforts of today.
I will be liken to the rain drop which washes away the mountain; the ant who devours a tiger; the star which brightens the earth; the slave who builds a pyramid. I will build my castle one brick at a time for I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking.
I will never consider defeat and I will remove from my vocabulary such words and phrases as quit, cannot, unable, impossible, out of the question, improbable, failure, unworkable, hopeless, and retreat; for they are words of fools. I will avoid despair but if this disease of the mind should infect me then I will work on in despair. I will toil and I will endure. I will ignore the obstacles at my feet and keep mine eyes on the goals above my head, for I know that where dry desert ends, green grass grows.

The Greatest Salesman in the World
Og Mandino”

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I used part of this in my toast masters speech today on perseverance... Here was my script/ notes: 

What Separates those who go on to succeed at life and those who fail?

Why is it that some people seem to be able to overcome great obstacles while others struggle with even the most basic of human challenges?

Here is a quote from Og Mandino's book "The Greatest Salesman in the World"

The prizes of life are at the end of each journey, not near the beginning; and it is not given to me to know how many steps are necessary in order to reach my goal. Failure I may still encounter at the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the road. Never will I know how close it lies unless I turn the corner.

Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.

Perseverance is one of the key traits a successful person has. Without perseverance humanity would be no where near where it is today, in any field, or industry or area of life that makes human life rich, beautiful and worthwhile.

ChatGPT

"Perseverance is the unwavering persistence, determination and continuous effort to achieve a goal even in the face of difficulties, obstacles, setbacks or challenges."

What if, when haven fallen deep in the darkness of a well… a young child did not refuse but to climb herself out and to once again see the light of day?

Thomas Edison is famously quoted to have tried to create a light bulb and failed over a thousand times before he created the first commercially viable, fully functioning incandescent light bulb.

Now, how many people have tried to achieve something and given up? I know I have. Often on what, the 1st failure? 2nd? Third?

What if to have success in your dreams you needed to fail a thousand times but you only tried and failed twice? What if all that separated you from what you wanted in life was the willingness to try again?

Nobel Peace Prizing winning activist for girls education Malala Yousafzai refused to give up her vision and purpose that girls deserve to go to school, and get an education.

She refused even after being shot in the head by the Taliban who stood to stop her from doing what she believed is right.

She did not cave into fear, she persists in her vision that all girls have access 12 years of free, safe, and quality education.

Former professional boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter was falsely accused of a triple murder and spent nearly 20 years in prison.

But, he never gave up fighting to prove his innocence. Instead of letting the harsh, dark and brutal reality of prison break his spirit instead he emerged a free man, with a golden heart.

He spent his first years 10 years in prison studying law, writing books, and then becoming a deeply committed student of Truth. He would write the book "The sixteenth round" which would ultimately set in motion the turn of events that would see him free, with only a grade 8 education. Once free he would then go on to help free many other falsely accused people from their wrongful incarceration by working with various organizations who have the sole purpose of freeing the wrongly convicted.

We can draw from these peoples stories incredible principles and personality traits that can be applied into our own lives…

Whether we are changing the world, our industries, our community or our own lives these traits and principles are universal.

Setbacks, obstacles and challenges do not mean we can't achieve our goals. Every successful person has faced challenges in their pursuit of success. Challenges come with trying anything. The obstacles we face hold in it the seed of our success.

Optimism is key to dealing with setbacks and challenges. Without a healthy optimism we can fall into patterns such as learned helplessness which can hold us back from success.

Growth Mindset: When we are trying to make changes in our lives, or in the world around us we generally start from a place of relative ignorance and lack of experience. We need to be willing to face the hard truths that reality throws at us and learn, grow and adapt in accordance to the reality we are presented. When we do that, we can move mountains.

Purpose, and knowing our why… When we know why we are doing what we are doing it allows us to persevere despite the challenges and difficulties we are facing.

Perseverance is a powerful trait to have as a human. It can be developed over time through practice and study. By reading books about people who have overcome great challenges, and studying the psychology of perseverance and then practicing it in our daily lives I believe we can begin to see  great changes in our lives over the long term.

Thank you

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Nice. Very Inspiring.

Thought = Time. Without thought there's no time. Death is the end of the illusion.

@PenguinPablo No 

The greatest salesman in the world goes beyond sales, it’s worth reading. 

and, I will be in sales as j continue to build my own business. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

This is the song I had I. Mind for this speech

◭"89"