Jannes

How to motivate myself to keep going to the gym?

28 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Mostly push-ups and hammer curls.
If I don't have a dumbbell, I do curls with a fairly heavy chair lol, that's enough.

You are missing like 70% of the other muscles. No lower body, no back, no delts. But I believe that you look better then 70% of society because most dont work out at all. 

3 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Yeah you get out what you put in, in reverse exponential fashion. So 1-2 hours per week is going to be tremendously better than 0, and the second 1-2 hours will not be as powerful as the first 1-2 hours and so on. It’s scalable obviously.

Put in 5-8 hard hours a week and you’ll probably get fantastic results, and 15 hours will probably be even better, albeit maybe only 1-2% better. But 3 hours is still way more bodybuilding than most are doing.

At some point it's counter productive. It depends on your experience level. A newbie will get best results with 3 sessions of 40min probably. Part of the process is that the body has to heal the damage and grow. If you overdo it, your body only has capacities to heal you but not to grow new muscle. 

On this forum there is sometimes an old jacked intellectual guy mentioned. He is bald but wears an ugly wig now. What's his name? I want him as a role model for motivation. 

Edited by Jannes

6 minutes ago, Jannes said:

You are missing like 70% of the other muscles. No lower body, no back, no delts. But I believe that you look better then 70% of society because most dont work out at all. 

Whatever ? ;)

The devil is in the details.

1 minute ago, Jannes said:

On this forum there is sometimes an old jacked intellectual guy mentioned. He is bald but wears an ugly wig now. What's his name? I want him as a role model for motivation. 

Ken Wilber 

20 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Whatever ? ;)

I have mixed feelings about this attitude. 

I am a bit neurotic to hit every single muscle every time. 

(100 Calorie Cardio for Warmup)
(Lots of Stretching)

Banded Face Pulls 3x (Health)
Banded shoulder External rotator both sides 2x (Health)
Standing calf raises 2x
Smith Machine Squats 3x
Lunges 1x
Hip Extensions 3x
Rows on the cable machine 4x
Chest Press 2x
Side Raises 3x
Hammer Curls (Overhand to Underhand grip) 2x
Tight Bench Press 2x
Leg Raises 2x
Hanging (For back and shoulder health) 5x

19 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Ken Wilber 

YES

Edited by Jannes

I think I get you.

I also like to romanticize certain ideas.

And now for you one time a weeks is much less romantic than the romance of 5-6 times a week gym grind.

I would say you just have to be creative to look at your new 1 time a week schedule in a romantic way. 

Because bro, there certainly is something romantic about it. Discovering more of yourself, healing yourself from overworking, finding joy in other aspects of life so much that you don't want to go to the gym so often BUT you still go once a week to maintain your physique and health benefits. Dude. Thats Badass!

Look at the badassness and wisdom of your new approach. :x

In the Vast Expanse everything that arises is Lively Awakened Awareness.

12 hours ago, Jannes said:

Yes, but what does it matter? 👁

It doesn't even show when you're in a t-shirt, lol. And it's not like it's going to change anything in your relationship with women, it's delusional.

What changes, what really makes you physically competitive, is avoiding being overweight/skinny, having proper hygiene and a clothing style that suits you.
Everything else is unimportant.