Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caspex

How to expand your online horizons?

5 posts in this topic

I find that many of us tend to confine ourselves to familiar online realms, revolving around particular topics and interests. I, however, aspire to transcend these boundaries and embark on a digital journey akin to exploring uncharted lands. My goal is to diversify my online experience, uncovering novel facets of the internet, rather than rehashing what I already know. I seek to expand my online horizons, treating the web as an open world ready for exploration. But what are the best ways to do so? It doesn't seem like it, but it's pretty hard to go out of your sphere of knowing. What could be a lot more useful is to develop a system of surfing the web so that it becomes easier to expand into new domains. By 'system' I do not mean anything technical, although that'd be cool, what I mean is to develop a habit of visiting certain places that expands oneself into newer domains. What kind of a mindset would one need to constantly go out of one's comfort zone online, watching and reading random things you'd usually never read? There's so much to discover on the internet yet we tend create a home somewhere and stay there most of the time, only occasionally expanding into new areas when something from over there, wanders over here.

In my case, I spend my time on the internet watching anime, shows and movies for the most part sprinkled in with gaming content. Politics would be second in place while things like this forum would be on the 'occasional' visiting list. Since most my spirituality is offline, it does not form a big part of my online presence.

I can't help but notice how much I waste the potential of the internet through confining myself to these topics and places. What do you limit yourself to? How is it that one can break out of these limits consistently and become an online adventurer?

Edited by Swarnim

1 hour ago, Swarnim said:

I can't help but notice how much I waste the potential of the internet through confining myself to these topics and places. What do you limit yourself to? How is it that one can break out of these limits consistently and become an online adventurer?

I too limit myself to certain things when it comes to exploring internet, and presently I am stuck with this forum. But, I change or rotate my interests once in a while. I also spend a lot of time on the internet or the digital world, so I might have a few points useful for you. It's important that we open ourself to fields outside of your interests you haven't explored yet:

• If you consider YouTube, you can unsubscribe from the usual channels you follow and explore different categories like comedy, documentaries, animation, animals, science, diy, education, short films, talks,vlogs etc. A good way to find such hidden gems is to use the YouTube crawler using this link.
  • https://channelcrawler.com/
  • Trying different movie and tv series genres of different eras outside of your comfort zone, in different languages.
  • Reading fictional and non fictional ebooks of different genres and countries.
  • Watching live sports other than those you like online.
  • Learning new and interesting courses using websites like udemy, Coursera, LinkedIn etc.
  • Trying out multiplayer games other than the usual and popular shooting ones.
  • Exploring the vast diversity of forums like reddit
  • Create art using ai and manual digital online free tools.
  • Joining telegram groups of your interests.
  • Listen to music from different countries or create your own.
  • Read free comics in webtoon
  • Travel virtually to all places on internet using YouTube or Google Street view.
  • Read random Wikipedia articles.

There is much more to do other than what I have mentioned in the digital world that I am not aware of. Some are productive, others are for entertainment, but as long as we don't get addicted, I think they are useful!

@An young being Thanks for the crawler link, didn't know that existed.

I was thinking of making a bucket list for exploring things online each day, however I had no idea of what I could add to it, thanks for the topic list you provided. I can extract a bunch of value from that! Thanks again.

26 minutes ago, Swarnim said:

@An young being Thanks for the crawler link, didn't know that existed.

I was thinking of making a bucket list for exploring things online each day, however I had no idea of what I could add to it, thanks for the topic list you provided. I can extract a bunch of value from that! Thanks again.

Welcome! Ps: I forgot to add an important one, which is online video chatting with strangers, but you may have to find the right one. Most are trash talk types.

Edited by An young being