Bobby_2021

Gentle Lighting

3 posts in this topic

The lights that we use have a long lasting impact on our circadian rhythm which in turn affect our health in a variety of ways.

1. We need out lighting to reduce blue light as much as possible, or use a lighting that has a uniform distribution of all lights.

We need our lighting to mimic sunlight as much as possible. To be clear, when it's night, it's supposed to be as dark as possible, with the exception of light from fire. This is how human beings lived for thousands of years. This light is the most attuned with our natural systems.

2. Diffused lighting vs direct lighting.

Direct lighting blinds our eyes in case we look at it by chance. Diffused or scattered lights are more gentle and they spread across the room by scattering and reflecting off of the walls and objects. 

So, to implement there two simple things, switch to incadecent or tungsten filament bulbs and cover the lights at a sufficient distance to get diffused lighting . If you put the cover too  close you run the risk of heating it up top much and it may catch fire. 

While incadecent bulbs are inefficient, it will be graceful on the skin and circadian rhythm. 

Great contribution here, I'm a huge proponent of using light to effectively sync my circadian rhythm and improve my sleep quality.

Some thing I personally implement:

1. Within 10 minutes of waking up, I ground barefoot outside, expose myself to first light, and meditate.

2. Once the sun sets, I use a red headlamp to navigate around my home.

3. I use blackout curtains and a cotton sleep mask to mitigate the chances of artificial light seeping through my window and compromising my sleep.

18 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

Great contribution here, I'm a huge proponent of using light to effectively sync my circadian rhythm and improve my sleep quality.

Some thing I personally implement:

1. Within 10 minutes of waking up, I ground barefoot outside, expose myself to first light, and meditate.

2. Once the sun sets, I use a red headlamp to navigate around my home.

3. I use blackout curtains and a cotton sleep mask to mitigate the chances of artificial light seeping through my window and compromising my sleep.

Awesome practices. I do the same after waking up. 

The feel and mood inside my room changed a lot after I ditched LEDs and went to incadecent+indirect lighting. 

Great share!!