Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
effortlesslumen

Becoming a pure philosophist

4 posts in this topic

Achieving this is a life long journey. But what is the first direct step in the present perception of the now to true philosopy in your perspective?

Mine would be pure self observation. 

12 hours ago, effortlesslumen said:

Achieving this is a life long journey. But what is the first direct step in the present perception of the now to true philosopy in your perspective?

Mine would be pure self observation. 

Two things :

1-study the work of famous philosophers 

2-think independently and try to do a critique of their work. 

For example watch a philosophical video of Leo and then try to prove him wrong. Become skeptical etc

If you want to become a professional philosopher..there is  no way other than academia .

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

19 hours ago, effortlesslumen said:

But what is the first direct step in the present perception of the now to true philosopy in your perspective?

The timeless wisdom of Sokrates: Knowing that you don't know anything.

It is only from that basic insight that true knowledge is possible.

Why so serious?

A few questions to ask yourself

What's the point? What are you trying to achieve?

Ask yourself if you want to become a philosophist because of someone inspiring you and you wanting to be like them or embody their lifestyle or life choices, such as becoming like Leo and taking his example. There is nothing wrong with that, but ask yourself if you are being deceived into something that is nonsensical. What is your point in becoming a philosophist, and is it because you are part of a forum where people do philosophical thinking? Are you really interested in it or are you just being led into it by the people you watch and media you consume? That's something really serious to consider.

It happened to me too that I really wanted to be an astrologer and tarot mystic because I saw someone doing mediumship live on camera and it intrigued me so much that I started doing just that. I had my cards and I was making videos just like the person, but I did not have the skills and gifts that she possessed and I constantly felt like I was faking it for the views and that I didn't contribute to the community at large. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy watching videos of tarot mediumship or giving personal advice based on intuition sometimes, but I realised that I wanted to be like that person because she had something that I could not have. Some people are born with a calling for certain positions and sometimes you cannot fake something till you make it or be like them. So based on this, maybe you are doing the same, you watch Leo videos and want to be like him because he is charming and his way of living excites you. And I could be wrong but you still have to consider this. 

Maybe you genuinely enjoy philisophy, but if you want to become someone who does it for a living you have to do academical training and, or university training to become one. Or write a book and sell it and be a writer or make a podcast or be someone influential. First of all the sad truth is that you still have to make a living. Or you could have a job and do philosophical thinking on the side, as your personal enjoyment. 

Just know the reasons why you are doing it in the first place. Don't do it just because others are doing it.