Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Happy Lizard

Business illiteracy

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I’ve been thinking about this topic for quite a while now and have come to some conclusions and some Ideas that I wanted to share in hope of getting some help kickstart my progress in this area. Let me start with a some of my background information:

I come form a business illiterate society. The country where I’m form (stage red-blue) has no connection/immersion  in the culture of business and markets like the US is. Since I know live in the US, every time I hear people talk about business in real life or on this form, even Leo has almost this idea that business is like the air you breath or the food that will almost definitely be there in the supermarket next door. Where I grew up, I knew of very few people who had a business or talked about this subject in a general form. Sure we had groceries, small appliances shop, restaurants, or  gold and jewelry shops. But these people were not my close friends or an extension of my family, nor was even the idea of opening a business looked at the same way form point of view of people here in the western world: so it’s just looked at as the work of that specific family, meaning it’s just what they did, not one single time did I in my life sat down and had a conversation about capital ,niche ,marketing etc etc

To illustrate this more, the number of chocolate bar brands that I grow up as a kid buying where exactly 4, shampoos 2, chips maybe 2, tea and juice maybe 1 or 2. All local that is; we did import form other countries, but this is just to drive my point; I grew up knowing no supplements brands or vitamin brands no hardware no fishing tools no special chocolate ice cream pints with cbd in them.

Since I started opening my mind and thinking more often about business here in the Us I have had the feeling of almost chocking with the amounts of business and how different it is from my upbringing, it’s like I grow up never playing a video game and you are all talking about unlocking achievements or hidden side quests, and I’m like uhh yeah sure …

my main problem having not grown up in business literate society is that I do not know what to start a business for? How do I come up with a business idea, like where do I start to make this happen? And how do I educate myself about business and this whole world in general?

Honestly I can't say I learned a lot about business when I grew up as well. Most people never bother with doing their own business in general. The most walked path is still education -> employment.

If you can understand English there are now thousands of videos on YouTube with all kinds of business ideas.

Just type "top business ideas in x" and replace x with anything specific like a field, a hobby, your age or the area/country you live in.

From there maybe find a group or an event about business in your area. Maybe there are some talks you can attend and meet new people and get new ideas.

You can also join online groups that are focused on entrepreneurship.

The main idea to start a business is solving a problem for others. Because that is what most people pay for.

Watch Valuetainment, Patrick Bet-David's channel. It's a very good channel promoting entrepreneurship. All of your literacy-issues will get solved if you do this. 

18 hours ago, universe said:

there are now thousands of videos on YouTube with all kinds of business ideas.

Mostly I’ve found videos with a presumptions that you either “know” business or you are looking to improve your already existing plan to start a business. There are no business 101 that I’ve found or at least no high value business education, I’ve seen some google talks but that’s about it.

I would appreciate any sources you might have to get educated about this.