Buck Edwards

Spiritual Bypassing -the difference between a bypasser and a serious spiritual seeker

4 posts in this topic

I've done some contemplating on this topic yesterday and this is my conclusion about it. 

The main difference between a bypasser and a serious spiritual seeker is that the true seeker will go deeper and deeper in their search for truth and never cease to contemplate and look for newer levels of awakenings. 

You could tick any of the four boxes or all -

Box1 - You do spirituality to satisfy your ego 

Box2 - you do spirituality to escape/solve your issues. 

Box3 - you do spirituality because of neurotic attachment. 

Box4 - you do it because you are passionate about it. 

For me it's the last one but also a bit of everything else. I'd be seriously bullshitting myself if I denied my own ego. I'm looking forward to some serious spiritual seeking.Yo. 

I don't guilt myself. I realize that a bit of zen devilry (the dark side of spirituality) can be an inherent dynamic of spiritual circles yet I shouldn't fall prey to the usual traps of devilry. (including spiritual narcissism) 

Whats up! 

Edited by Enlightement

You should seek to transcend the limitations of the ego and the mind in order to experience a sense of unity with the universe or ultimate reality. You can do meditation,sef inquiry and contemplating for that. To recognize the underlying oneness that is believed to exist beyond the realm of dualistic perception.

It's good that you're cautious of the ego's constant attempts to hijack spiritual progress. The closer you get to awakening, the more desperately the ego clamors to distract you from the truth.

Spiritual bypassing is the attempt to shortcut the process by mistaking insights for awakening, or more insidiously by pursuing extreme spiritual experiences at the expense of putting in the work necessary for integration.

Enlightenment is 1% realization, and 99% integration. Realization won't free you from suffering. Integration will. It's about developing the spiritual muscle to swim against the current of the conditioned mind, without losing your awareness within it.

If you still find yourself getting entangled in experiences, there's spiritual work to be done. You have to sever the roots of mental attachment to desires in order to realize that you are absolutely free.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Box 5 maybe, because it's necessary,  because here and now I exist, and I have to go deeper into this, I have to get to the bottom. not doing it is crazy, not a possibility. It's not about being happier, it's about getting out of the deception, realizing the pure, real truth