Lise

Shallowness seems so valued

4 posts in this topic

Recently I've been really frustrated about the fact that seemingly, people with good values, depth, and wisdom doesn't do as well in the education system as people with shallow values (no values) and bad moral views. Might this be because the education system itself often is very shallow and somehow not dedicated to true learning (making people understand stuff instead of mindlessly accepting them), and people with depth value true learning? Or is it just a matter of discipline?

Personally, I've been on both sides. When I was younger I was really academically hard working. I even had Leo's quote "Study for the sake of studying" hanging on the side of my desk. Being 23 now, and soon to start on my master's degree, I'm not as obsessed with getting good grades as before. I am, but only in the subjects that I see true learning and value in. Some subjects are really mindless and trivial, and it's really hard to be motivated to work with these, even though an HR person would probably see value in the grade. I guess the real reason it annoys me is because I'm afraid employers don't value real interest and side projects, but would rather see a good grade average. If the subjects actually test how good you'd be in the profession this would be OK, but they don't. Also, a lot of firms seem to be madly exploitative and don't see value in having people with values on their teams. Ugh. I just feel like society doesn't value wisdom. And it makes me very sad. Fuck. I guess the real issue is that corporate life is so orange and that the world seems so upside down...

Is mainstream society as it is today a place where shallowness is more valued than depth? What do you think about this?

You work with what you got. It could always be worse. 1000 years ago, you had to suck up to some feudal lord while working as a serf.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Corporate is 100% shallow orange. Academia is all about marketing and money, therefore also orange. Do these things. Get the degrees, the jobs, the money, the house, knowing them for what they are. And, study your true wisdom education, insights, introspecting, etc unto your true self. Go deep. This is where the gold is. Namaste 

Society doesn't care about wisdom.

Society isn't aware that there is such a thing as wisdom. This is a temporary phase, I don't know when but it will change someday, when society will exhaust this orange hue.

For now, do your best to survive in the system without losing yourself, keep your values.

Don't be afraid of working environment, it really depends on the company, team and the manager.

I don't know where you live but maybe try to look for the companies who are more orange-green or even green if you find.

Let Love In