Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
5-D - L O V E

Managing Deep Work in two different fields

2 posts in this topic

I am not fully certain about the situation my life is in right now, a lot of things are changing very fast (both internally and on the outside), mostly for the better in many regards... So this is not a complaint, but just a preface for the main discussion, 

Which concerns being able to work at a high standard (personally set) in two different fields at the same time, while avoiding crash, burn-out, confusion, dillution of effectiveness... 

So the exact situation I am in at the present moment is that I am being pushed, "my soul is calling me" to take all the time necessary and dedicate all the resources at hand to compose, record and release an EP/Album which is one my main life goals, of course I don't see it as just any musical work being put out there, to me it's an integral part of  my spiritual journey, and luckily I have enough resources (by chance) to put a whole year just into this without being concerned with resources (rent, buying equipement...) but that comes at the expense of sacrificing a big share of money I'm inhereting to do this....

At the same time, the logical part of my mind is guiding me towards some sort of "safety"/Escape plan, which consists in leaving the third world country I'm in and starting a new life somewhere else by finding a contract in a good game development company as a low-level programmer... Which is something I can pull off if I put in the time into working on a prototype that would serve as CV/portfolio, but by doing that I would be basically splitting my time between working on my music (which I don't want to abandon, or even set aside for now given the opportunity and all the work/thought that was put into it... and it still being my dream)

Now, I've started experementing lately with trying to do both activities in the same day, basically doing music during the early evening, or morning, and putting in around 2 hours of work at night programming the game... and I feel like my effectiveness in being sharp in anyone activity is reduced, since I tend to perform at my "highest" when I'm fully into a specific thing...

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? or some kind of higher ground (meta) advice that I'm missing since I'm submurged with the whole process

I know that in the end, I will be the only one to be held responsible for the results of any decisions I take, but I'm trying to think, intuit and feel into this whole situation from more of a tier 2 perspective, meaning seeing things through a bigger space-time frame, seeing how any decisions will impact my life in the long run, not only in the next few months...

Edited by 5-D - L O V E

I think that consistently practicing what you want to get good at is much more important than being in peak performance during your practice session. It is quite conceivable that you are simply getting tired after doing so much in one day. In my opinion as long as you keep up with your work consistently then you can achieve what you want. If you really want to see your life from a bird's eye view, I would recommend journaling every day and writing down your thoughts about your life. This will give you time to really think through what you are doing and how you are doing it. The other thing you can do is travel (if you can). Getting away from what you are doing for a short time can allow you to see your life from a new perspective and make certain things much more clear to you in regards to how you should live your life.