beatlemantis

Enlightenment And Conscious Study Over College?

5 posts in this topic

Hi there, I'm a 17-year-old in quite a bit of a stumping moment that would help greatly to hear some input on.

I'm on a path to head for college this fall, and I am worried I might stunt my growth if I do not focus years of study into myself now, rather than my career and education. I feel it may distract or stunt my life to go head-on into these things, but then I feel it may be unnecessary to dive into self-actualization all at once since it is a life-long process. Anyway, here's some questions I have in this topic, any thoughts or concepts are appreciated. Thanks! 

What are your thoughts on taking a hardcore, intensive retreat to study consciousness and self over attending college? What if you seek college to fulfill your life purpose?

Would advancing in consciousness enhance the other, or would it only prove to place one "behind the mark" career-wise?

Would it be best to focus on a balanced life, without concentrating one or the other? Does this all depend on personal preference, or how much work one needs to do? Or should self-actualization be one's #1 priority, as it spreads throughout all facets in life?

@beatlemantis you can treat your college as a consciousness retreat self observation doesn't require a special condition, that special condition is always the case....

It will definitely enhance your career because you are more aware than the average masses now and higher consciousness learning is a good thing, don't you think? 

Self actulization should definitely be one's no.1 priority. How much work one needs to do?  How long do you expect to live? 

@Elton Awesome insight, El. Thanks so much for your thoughts - the more I think of it, I definitely agree it is priority #1. Appreciate it, more clarity now!

I've been using Maslow's Hierarchy of needs to decide this, by first getting my career/life purpose on track so that I will be set up for more actualization and Enlightenment later on. They are in parallel though as well, doing intensive mediation retreats and self inquiry along the way.  It talks about how you can short circuit it, and skip to the top as well. But getting to the top, or enlightenment, is always the goal. 

If you don't need to go to college now for any practical reason, I say sack it and do your self-actualization work. In a few years time you'll know what to do, you'll probably have a life purpose down and you may even decide to go to college after all. 

If you need to go to enhance your prospects for potential careers, I say go. You can definitely still self-actualize.

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com