Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shadow

Where Do I Start With Personal Development?

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any advice in where to start? There are a lot of things that I want to change about myself, and I already have been working towards some even before I came across actualized.org. How do you guys know if you are on the right track? Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question. 

For me the first step was changing how I talk to myself.  So affirmations are a first step in the right direction.  You may also want to read Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.

For me the first step was becoming physically active! I think this is a necessity because if you become self motivated to exercise everyday or most days, it means you can apply this principle to anything in life. How to become motivated to exercise?? Well the first step is to find an activity that you genuinely enjoy! There is no point joining the gym if you find it repetitive and boring, it will become a chore and after a couple of months you will give up. So my advice is to try different things out, whether it may be bike riding, running, swimming, yoga, martial arts, tennis, dinosaur hunting or whatever!! Once you have found what you enjoy, my advice is to probably start off small if you are not used to physical activity, what I mean is maybe twice a week, build up to three days and eventually keep increasing until it is a normal part of your every day life.

I admit exercising is hard to get into, but once you are there, it is even harder to stop. I struggled for years trying get into a routine, but after many failures I finally found what I enjoyed and stayed committed. Now the trick to staying committed and motivated to your choice of physical activity, is having goals, you have to see progression, there has to be point that you want to reach, you have to see improvement, otherwise it will become repetitive and boring and you may lose motivation.

Anyways I think this is really important and where it all should start, if you are feeling healthier, you will feel happier, this will then boost your confidence, which will take you to the next step with anything else you want to achieve in life, it all starts with something so simple like this. So try out a few things and find what you enjoy, then set your goals, and sit back and watch the beautiful progression.

Also to any individuals that are already physically active but are finding themselves bored and losing motivation to exercise, it may be time to transition to something else. Find a new activity, and progress, all that excitement and fun will begin all over again :)

Daniel

@Shadow Hi Shadow. Let me assure you, there are no stupid questions here, so good on you for seeking advice. 

You may have heard the saying: 'A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step!'. So, my advice is to ask your inner self where to start; remain quiet within and listen to your inner voice. Something usually comes up and that is what to do first or in that moment. 

Being on the right track feels right - if it doesn't feel good or resonate well with you, you probably need to correct your course. Perhaps you make a list of the things you want to change and prioritise these things. Some questions for you to ask yourself: Can some of them be done together? Will doing one thing help you out in other areas you want to change?

Try to be realistic about any goals you set for yourself - small steps!

Oh, and try not to rush things, but do try to stay present and grounded. Accept whatever happens - this is really important, for what you resist, persists!

That you are here on the forum and have previously been working towards some of your goals suggests you are beginning to find your way.

Another thought I'm having is that you may benefit from doing some 'mirror work' as written and spoken about by Louise L. Hay. I have - and still do as the need arises - practice mirror work and I have found it can be very powerful in my self development journey.

Best wishes.

It would be amazing if Leo could organize the videos in Order. Like Level 1, Level 2, Level 3

Some Personal Development is quite basic and can be solve with affirmations in 21 days like Maxwell Maltz suggested in his book, other personal development is extremely deep and can take you a life time like awareness, enlightenment work, etc.

But everything is important. Gradually improving is the best (also suggested by Maltz) so probably start with shorter more basic videos and then move into the latest ones that are more deep and long.

It's like bottom-less well. For starters I would just sit down and think about what my life lacks. Listening to all the talks about enlightment and all that is nice but for me and many others it's just a nice idea and that's it. Go for practical things. I'm lonely so that is one thing to work on. My body is weak so another directions could be working out and finding out some proper diet. Meditation is a great thing because it makes you learn to live with yourself. That sounds stupid but while meditating you learn so much about yourself in a very subtle ways.

Stay patient and determined.

Start with the thing that bothers you the most, causes you the most pain or what you feel holds you back the most.

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Thank you all so much. There is a lot in my life that I need to change. 

I think first of all is necessary to find the right time to absorb new information.

Every week i try to give a little rest to empty my mind, so i go to meditation and life purpose stuff.

After that is very good to put some strategy and action through planning your week to conquer your dreams one by one 

grounded in reality.

The way it started it by watching sermons of Joel Osteen that Texas based pastor. I know it's kind of awkward but that worked for me. I will definitely make a carrier out of personal development because that is my DNA.You can listen to JIM ROHN if you are just starting.

I would recommend you watching videos on youtube of Mooji.

This is his webpage

http://www.mooji.org 

It's good for beginners.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16