vindicated erudite

I believe I have found the most efficient note taking method

3 posts in this topic

This method of learning will use a software like OneNote that allows mixed media to be manipulated.

Learning Plan Page

You need to create a learning plan page to plan out how you plan to learn the topic you want to learn. This learning plan page should include details such as:

1. Sub topics you want to learn about your main topic.
  2. A timetable so you remain consistent in learning this new topic and so you know how long it will take to complete each milestone. Keep the schedule simple and flexible.
  3. What resources you will want to use such as YouTube series, books, textbooks, articles, courses etc.

Index Page

Then create an index page which is a page filled with a bullet-pointed list filled with the titles of every new page you plan to create. 

For example:

Index Page

• Variables - What variables are and how they are used in algebra.
  • Substitution and evaluating expressions - Explains how substitution works and how expressions are evaluated.
  • Evaluating word Problems - Learn how Algebra works through word problems

You want include on each line a title (that is linked to your page) and a one sentence explanation on what's on that page. 

Content Pages

Content pages are the pages that are being linked in the Index page. They contain the information you want to learn.

You want to structure these page more like a dictionary than a textbook.

The idea that in order to take notes you need to listen or read a piece of information and write them in your own words is basically bullshit. It's much more effective to quote rather than paraphrase. 

Let's say that you want to take notes of a YouTube video instead of paraphrasing the entire video I recommend that you embed the video into your content page and create a timestamp section underneath it so you can skip directly to relevant information. 

For text, I recommend that you quote information into your content page with a citation so you know where to look for the information. Using PDFs textbooks are going to make this process much easier for textbooks. You can add additional context to these quotes underneath in additional detail in your own words underneath these quotes.

If you use this method you are not going to leave important contextual information which makes learning much more easier. 

Also the idea that if you write a piece of information out you are more likely to remember it is BULLSHIT. 

If you want to remember a piece of information turn it into a flashcard and spam decks until you memorise it OR just repeated try to recall that piece of information until you no longer need to look at that piece of information. 

Another way you increase the likelihood of memorising something is by completing tests. Go find an online test, revise relevant topics and complete the test. Focus on improving your week areas. The more repetitions of this testing cycle you are able to complete the more likely you are to remember that information. 

Revision

Also will want to review your notes in periodised intervals in order to overcome the forgetting curve. 

Repeat reviews similar to the graph below.

curve_0-500x231.gif

That's pretty much it.

Edited by vindicated erudite

1 hour ago, Rinne said:

sounds a bit confusing

What could I have explained better?