Extreme Z7

Is Using Emotional Crutches While Working Bad For Me?

8 posts in this topic

Whenever I work on something that takes a considerable amount of time, whether it's for school, a creative hobby, or something else. I always get this agitated feeling whenever I don't have some external source of stimulation. For me, it's usually music or playing a YouTube video in the background (Long videos, usually stuff from Leo, Alan Watts, Sadhguru, Terrence Mckenna, etc.) or some podcast. It's worth noting that I generally don't like to stimulate myself with these things whenever I'm not working. It feels like a waste of time when I could listen to them while simultaneously being productive.

The problem is that I'm also interested in raising my level of being which for me also translates to my base level of happiness. I spend a lot of time working everyday and I don't like the feeling of being agitated while working and I also don't like the idea of my habit of trying to rid of that agitation in the short term is ruining my chances at mindfulness growth in the long term.

Any suggestions? Is it a good idea for me to practice working in ambience? Is it better to just slow down working altogether? A third option?

Let me know what you think.

@Extreme Z7 Forgive me if I am completely off, but it seems to me your trying to align your mind when you need to align your health (diet & excercise). The mind will follow. Resistant weight & resistant thought are the same, just physical and nonphysical representations of the same disharmony.  This sounds like the voice of sugar to me. Again, my apologies if I am totally off. We're all projecting from our connotations. 

Otherwise, cut the shit about ambiance and start meditating every single morning. This will get you to a place where you can sit with no stimulation at all and be perfectly aligned and at peace.

Then, the problem you address here, won't even exist. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm Resistant weight? Nah, I'm actually pretty damn thin. If anything, I need to be eating more. That could be part of my problem. Sugar? Yeah, I do have some in my diet but it's not a lot. I haven't done a lot of research when it comes to nutrition, though. Maybe I could learn a thing or two there and it could help.

Also, I actually already do meditate. I've accumulated over 500+ hours of experience over the last 2 years. Would be pretty foolish of me to be interested in 'being' and 'mindfulness' but not learn to meditate. Maybe I just need to do it a lot more and take it more seriously? Things have to get worse before they get better I suppose. . .

@Extreme Z7 My apologies. But this is progress - ruling things out. Maybe this is your problem....

"Things have to get worse before they get better"

Who says that? 

Perhaps you're underestimating the power of your mind? If you think things will get worse, you will perceive things getting worse.

Maybe a change in philosophy is in order?  Rather than try to 'not be agitated', shift to focusing on the power of your mind. Choose to see EVERYTHING as positive. Initially, admittedly, it sounds like some bullshit. However, hasn't your thinking and therefore choices you made led you to where you are now? This will continue. Use it. It's the most powerful force. Make it a game. Slow down the process of - percieving, thinking, then feeling. If you perceive anything at all and notice a less that great emotion, consider stopping and sort of saying "I know the universe / one is good. I know I am the universe / one. I must be looking at this in a way that I a missing the bigger picture of goodness in it". Allow the universe within to show you the goodness. 

Helpful?

21 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Helpful?

Pretty advanced for where I'm at but I'll try.

@Extreme Z7 "Try"? Who says that?

Do. Now.

This is anonymous right? You have NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain right?

So type a few things right now that feel good to think about. NOTICE how you feel good thinking about them. Build that habit. Let it be simple.

I'll go first....

sex

playing guitar

protein shakes

beauty

laughing

epiphanies

@Nahm

art/being creative

video games

movies

relaxing moments/being

learning

experimenting with cool stuff

sleep (because I really need to sleep right now, it's 11:30pm. :P Thanks for the help!)

17 hours ago, Extreme Z7 said:

Whenever I work on something that takes a considerable amount of time, whether it's for school, a creative hobby, or something else. I always get this agitated feeling whenever I don't have some external source of stimulation. For me, it's usually music or playing a YouTube video in the background (Long videos, usually stuff from Leo, Alan Watts, Sadhguru, Terrence Mckenna, etc.) or some podcast. It's worth noting that I generally don't like to stimulate myself with these things whenever I'm not working. It feels like a waste of time when I could listen to them while simultaneously being productive.

I used to do this a lot back in colledge. In my opinion you should avoid it as much as possible.

At least in my case multitasking tends to lead to everything being less effective. Especially things like Leo's videos demand a certain amount of attention. If you use them as ambiance you may miss out on some of their meaning and that's a shame.

My suggestion is to find some soothing music for your work if you need it and save the heavy stuff for a moment when you can give them proper attention.