Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hansli

Swallowing when anxious

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an idea how i can overcome the need to swallow when im nervous or anxious? It happens to me when im around people whom i care what they think of me, or when i feel intimidated by high value people or attractiv women.

Any idea?

By embracing it, swallow conciously, be aware of the sensation of swallowing and stop trying not to do it. It will pass sooner or later, the wisest thing is to just become ok with it happening so that you don't cause yourself more suffering than necessary while it's going on. The sensation of swallowing can become a sensation for mindfulness and help ground you in the moment and bring you out of your head if you observe it as it is when it happens.

Over time you'll become less nervous/anxious and then you won't be swallowing like that anymore, but it can take some time so there's no reason trying to speed up that process. The important thing is that this behaviour doesn't make you avoid the situations that trigger it, so that's why you want to befriend this behaviour and stop seeing it as a problem, so you can keep exposing yourself to these situations which make you nervous/anxious and over time you will grow comfortable in those situations.

Edited by Asayake

If you swallow because you're anxious, becoming anxious about swallowing is the worst thing you can do. It's hard to will yourself out of anxiety but you can make peace with it. If you are at peace with it people around you will too.

The road to God is paved with bliss.