Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pallero

A Personal Breakthrough

7 posts in this topic

I experienced a breakthrough in my practice yesterday. I used to identify strongly with my body and my mind, but yesterday I had an interesting experience that was completely new to me. I realized that I'm not my body and I'm not my mind. It seemed to me that I am living inside my body and observing it and the mind do their thing. Sometimes the mind is going really crazy and loud and is full of itself. That's when it gets really dysfunctional and tried to seize control of everything. I also observed my body acting like it was on autopilot. I watched my hands move and do stuff, but I didn't feel like was controlling them. I just observed and thought "how interesting". 

I also thought "how curious is it that I happen to be inside a human body?" Human body is so unique and has its own strengths and limitations. I observed this mind that is inside this body as if from the outside and saw its immense potential to invent and create. I felt trapped by the body but not in a bad way. I thought that there must be a reason why I am inside this body and I have to make the most of it - explore its strengths and develop them to be the best "person" I can be.

I just thought I'd share this experience and ask if anybody has had similar ones? And if we assume that enlightenment is a process, whereabouts in this process is this kind of experience? I think it must be at the very beginning, but it still felt like this huge breakthrough to me. I'm so eager to continue with this. It felt so thrilling and mysterious and at the same time I've never been more at peace.

You have experienced a true state of meditation and also you have overcome the first real barrier in the way of enlightenment through meditation. I hope I can do it one day!

6 minutes ago, Sarper said:

You have experienced a true state of meditation and also you have overcome the first real barrier in the way of enlightenment through meditation. I hope I can do it one day!

Actually I wasn't meditating when this happened. At least not how I usually meditate. I was walking to school and talking to myself or some voice in my head about whether I maybe have a crystal aura. I fantasized about having this aura of peace and understanding and suddenly I realized I was in this state.

34 minutes ago, Pallero said:

Actually I wasn't meditating when this happened. At least not how I usually meditate. I was walking to school and talking to myself or some voice in my head about whether I maybe have a crystal aura. I fantasized about having this aura of peace and understanding and suddenly I realized I was in this state.

Meditating doesn't mean that you will sit in one place eyes closed and relax. A person can meditate in many different ways. What happened to you is part of meditation. Buddhist monks often meditate in ways that you see them watching television or cooking. They can even meditate while talking to you. It only happens inside. This is not a religion you go and sit somewhere and take your time while praying. Meditation is an attitude.

I've always had an extremely active imagination and a lot of random thoughts, but since I've been listening to Leo's enlightenment videos, I've started to wonder if glimpses of things are something else, such as when riding my motorcycle getting a fleeting glimpse of the scene from the perspective of a flock of ducks flying over my head across my path and I can see myself down below.

53 minutes ago, Neo said:

I've always had an extremely active imagination and a lot of random thoughts, but since I've been listening to Leo's enlightenment videos, I've started to wonder if glimpses of things are something else, such as when riding my motorcycle getting a fleeting glimpse of the scene from the perspective of a flock of ducks flying over my head across my path and I can see myself down below.

I don't believe that anything is random. I also believe that your higher self is calling you all the time and giving you glimpses and hints to follow. It gives you as much as your mind can let in. Your imagination is one of the most powerful if not the most powerful tool with which to do that. Everything you imagine is real and none of it is random.

I think you've experienced Witness Consciousness which is a higher state, well above normal waking consciousness.  I had it explained in a couple of ways.  One way to consider it is to realize and tune in to the constant drama of your mind and listen to the internal back and forth going on.  When you listen and observe this as a third party you are really listening as the Witness or the True Self.    Another perspective that helped me is looking at what I do day to day and the roles I play as if I was an actor.  I'm a son, a brother, an uncle, a lab production worker, a road cyclist, a racquetball player, a cross country skier, a good friend to a select few, a movie and book enthusiast, an athlete....but after I realize this I also realize those are mere roles I play as if I were a thespian on stage.  The witness who observes these roles I play is the Real Me.

Edited by Ramu
Misspelling