Gesundheit2

Spirituality is not supposed to be soft nor soothing!

3 posts in this topic

Not endorsing of harshness or anything like that, but where did this notion of soft spirituality come from?

God has been known through religion for thousands of years to be a tough masculine character. Please don't tell me He's got brainwashed by feminist propaganda :D

Not that that's necessarily true either, but I get the sense that many people come to spirituality having certain "soft" expectations.

When I think about spirituality, I think about connection to source, unity, the magical nature of existence, and all that kind of stuff. No pictures of paradise come to my mind.

When I think about truth, I don't get any paradise pictures, either.

Again, I'm not saying spirituality and truth are harsh, either. I'm saying these are just one's own emotions, and they're irrelevant to both truth and spirituality.

Yes, the results of practicing spirituality and seeking truth are soft and paradise, but who said the process should be so?

Why can't people accept something as it is without populating a bunch of irrelevant stories around it?

I guess my rant is over, but of course feel free to share your thoughts on the subject.

Edited by Gesundheit2

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

I agree with this. Another way of looking at the spirituality is this.. We were born awakened and through life experience, circumstances.. the spiritual/awakened state has been blanketed and covered over. As the coverings are removed and thinned it begins to reveal the layers. some of which are painful, others joyful. It is a journey of awakening to and unlearning those things which have dis - enlightened us.

The goal isn't paradise either. The goal  is to realize that you are already in paradise. So it depends on how you Define your goals and expectations of your spiritual practices. If you assume you should reach to a particular euphoric state in the future.. You will be disappointed. Because spiritual life is not a hedonistic life. The spiritual path was always a stoic path. Think of the Buddha when he became enlightened. He was close to die from hunger. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

It’s nothing soft about spirituality, I’ve almost lost my life twice in this spiritual path.

But that’s how I like it.

Edited by Rahra