effortlesslumen

Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Financial Independen

8 posts in this topic

Book recommendation:

Early Retirement Extreme: A Philosophical and Practical Guide to Financial Independence by Jacob Lund Fisker

Its a good book about  frugalism, which really attunes your brain to this lifestyle. Its not a blueprint, but certaintly features good ideas, especially if you are not accustomed to this concept. A rather fast read.

Description: "  A strategic combination of smart financial choices, simple living, and increased self-reliance brought me financial independence at 30 and allowed me to retire from my profession at 33. Early Retirement Extreme shows how I did it and how anyone can formulate their own plan for financial independence. The book provides the principles and framework for a systems theoretical strategy for attaining that independence in 5-10 years. It teaches how a shift in focus from consuming to producing can help people out of the consumer trap, and offers a path to achieving the freedom necessary to pursue interests other than working for a living. The principles in Early Retirement Extreme show how to break the financial chains that hold people back from doing what they truly want to do. The framework has been used by many people over the last few years to accomplish a variety of goals. It provides people a means to achieve almost any goal, whether it’s debt-free living, extended travel, a sabbatical, a career change, time off to raise a child, a traditional retirement, or simply a desire for a more resilient and self-sufficient lifestyle. The book was initially written for people in their 20s and 30s, but its ideas aren’t limited to early retirees. Middle-aged people in the grips of consumerism can use the principles to take back control of their lives. People closer to retirement age who don’t feel adequately prepared can use it to set themselves up for a comfortable retirement in a relatively short period of time. Anyone worried about their financial future can use the principles in Early Retirement Extreme to make their future more secure."

I'm watching his interview on the Stoa.

Really interesting.

Interesting i did not know he is doing interviews. Atleast i did not think about it. Thanks

I read his book years ago when I was actually relatively close to regular age retirement. I had lived a relatively frugal life, but nothing compared to his. Honestly, I find his own willingness to make his independence off of financial investments that are actually counter to his recommendations about lifestyle to be a bit self-serving. He makes money off other people spending too much, very likely. Also, his insistence that everyone learn to do so many practical tasks is impractical. Humans have been specializing for thousands of years. But what I’ve also been amazed at is the fact that later, another person espousing simplifying life by getting rid of a lot of possessions and paring down, took off exponentially in social media, the guy who with a partner started The Minimalists. Why them and not Fiskar? I guess they were more poetic? But it’s worth a read. 

@Mags I think he stated  somewhere that his way of living is only possible because so many people live the exact opposite and how this system operates. 

As for the practicality  i think there is a certain balance to be applied for the individual  to see what works for someone.   It also depends what person you are an how far you want to go. There has always be an exception of polymaths who were able to achieve specialization in multiple domains sucessfully. For me this book was also inspiration and i soon realised not everything is applicable for my living situation and state. But you are right if you really go to an extrem point of doing everything yourself it comes with sacrifice.

The minimalists are more like a trendy fashion movement and not as practical. Atleast i think this is their main audience. I was also curious about them for a very short periode but im glad i moved on. 

Edited by effortlesslumen