Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Identity

Creating a personal growth center

5 posts in this topic

I will give a bit of context here. However, if you would like further information, feel free to ask and I will provide it.

So, around three years ago I started my business called Realize. The mission is to support the next generation to create their reality through workshops coaching and events. Yes, Leo's work and Actualized have inspired it greatly. 

In the previous 'chapter' of the business, I had to model to collaborate with educational institutions. I came to the point of having a network of 20 institutions that would book me for workshops, as well as do some one-on-one coaching on the side. It was going... but to be honest, it was still a struggle to really create a consistent outcome of it. Nonetheless, I had helped 1000+ people in this way. I felt like continuing this path would lead to success down the line. 

In September I kind of doubled down on the business. See, it was not, and is not, the only thing I do career-wise. But I made new commitments about time investments and also had four interns joining me to help grow the business. I was definitely on fire. However, it felt like the educational institution side was showing some resistance. Booking a workshop for a couple of hundred euro's for a young entrepreneur was fun and cute, paying a couple thousand for a series of workshops did not catch on quite as well. 

With my inner momentum building a new opportunity presented itself out of nowhere. My own location!
Without really having this in mind, I got offered a location in the centre of Maastricht, The Netherlands where I live. It's a beautiful space at a great location and at an even greater price. The one caveat.. I rent it anti-squatting, which means that there is no certainty for how long I can stay. Basically, at any moment I could get a letter that says I have one month to pack my stuff. That is not ideal... but still. It really felt like a present from the universe. On the same day I went to view it, I got the keys. Out of nowhere, I had my own location! Great, right?

Well, it turned out not to be as easy as expected. The investments in terms of finances, time and energy were larger than I had predicted. For the past three years I had worked hard to find a balanced flow in my work, and the location basically threw that whole flow off. The past two months have been quite a lot. Paddling on all sides to make things work. Especially on the financial side, I wanted to 'carry this burdon' myself, and declined help from parents and friends. It's a theme for me that I want my own flow to make sense, be independent. So I was working double on both sides; setting up the location which COSTS money and doing extra freelance work to support it. It felt important to my own journey that I carried the outcomes of the decision I made.

Now, it has been two months since I first got the key. The place is fully furnished. Internet is (finally) installed. There is a group chat of 60 people interested in personal growth that I set up. I've talked to around 10 facilitators who also want to use the space to host personal growth events. My financial situation still is not great... but I feel like I've gotten past the peak of the challenge. 

So here I am.

The vision is to make this a centre of personal growth filled with love and wisdom. I see a community of hundreds of people who regularly come for all types of events; meditation, journaling, morning routines, conscious movement, mindfulness, sharing circles, coaching and more. Basically, I want this to be the place where personal growth HAPPENS. 

From where I stand now to where the vision is, there are quite a few things already in place. Myself and others around me are basically ready to start hosting sessions. 
The main challenge... regular paying clients. 
I know this is the crux of most businesses... yet in a way, I feel like things could go pretty quickly. However, my approach so far has not worked too well. See, I've already hosted 5-10 events here. But so far, it has all been pretty last-minute thrown together. 'Hee, on Sunday we are doing this' 'Two days from now we do this'. That has not worked very well. There have only been a couple of people showing up to those events so far.

So, my question is, how do I build momentum in a WISE way? 

My intuition so far is to host regular recurring events. And to start with just a few. For example a weekly recurring guided meditation.
Kind of like building a fire. The spark is there. Now to bring that spark into the place. Gently blow on it. Gently start adding some paper and twigs. And only add bigger logs once there is enough momentum.

So, that is my brain dump. There is a lot more that could be shared, but this covers the essence. 
Would love some wisdom on how this momentum could be built.

Preferably by people who have done something like this before.

Thank you in advance.

Realizeyourgrowth.com

Let me rephrase the situation.

Let's look at three situations; A: starting position, B: current reality and C: desired future.

As well as what strategies that were used to get from A to B (which we will call strategy 1) and what strategy will need to be deployed to get from B to C.

A: Starting position

Imagine being a personal growth facilitator who has developed and given dozens of workshops, has a coaching certification, has a somewhat established brand (logo, style, etc.). 

Out of nowhere, you get a beautiful location in the centre of a small student city (with 25kish students). No time to have prepared for it in terms of strategy, or anything like that. With a caveat; it's unclear how long you can stay. The landlord can send a letter and you'll have to pack your stuff within 30 days. Here is a video from when I first got the place:

1. Strategy from starting position to current reality

After getting the place 2,5 months ago, I started employing the following strategies. Keep in mind that this all happened part-time next to other freelance work and having had still quite a few workshops and coaching scheduled from my previous business model:

- Furnishing the place. With a low budget the place now is fully furnished into an office, coaching room and workshop space: 

- Connected with other facilitators. I pretty quickly realized (no pun intended) that I was not the only one who was going to be facilitating coaching and workshops here. Therefore I started connecting with a bunch of other personal growth facilitators, inviting them over to the space and talking about collaborating. With a few actually already collaborated. Also renting out the space a couple of times for other facilitators.

- Hosting events. I pretty quickly started hosting some of my own events as well as with some other facilitators. They have been mixed in results. Overall, getting people to show up has been quite challenging since my network was basically non-existent. There were some flyers distributed as well, but quite last-minute for the event which did not really end up helping.

- Creating a Whatsapp community. Creating and sharing a Whatsapp community. With people I know, in sharing it in some other groups and through word of mouth.

In general, these past 2,5 months definitely have not been wasted. At the same time, it did not get me to the place I was hoping to get to either. One lesson I'm taking away; Do things strategically, consistently and well. Don't do a lot of scattered stuff at the same time last-minute.

B: Current reality

Let's look objectively at some facts about where this place stands now:

- It is fully furnished.

- There is a network of 10ish facilitators interested in hosting events here.

- There is a Whatsapp community of 65 people.

- There is an Instagram following of 300 people.

- There are around to 3-5 recurring events from various facilitators (since this week).

- Some sessions people show up for, for others not.

- The location has not yet generated more than a couple hundred euro's in total.

C: Desired future

Looking at where I would like this place to be, I would like for it to become a lively place where a people come on a regular basis for their personal growth. A place filled with love and wisdom. 

Very active with all kinds of expanding sessions. My own workshops, meditations, coaching sessions. Other facilitators come in doing yoga, breath work, conscious movement, you name it.

There is a community of around 500 people who regularly visit this place. Some maybe more than others, but definitely that it is very popular. To the point that I just have to announce an event and there are people jumping on it. It's a known name here. There are people coming in and out of here. The place is alive.

With that, it also generates solid revenue. To the point that I'm earning a couple thousand out of running the place myself, and other facilitators that host here are also satisfied. The flow makes sense for all involved.

That's about it. This is an established growth centre that everyone benefits from being a part of.

2. Strategy current reality to desired future

The big question: How to move from the current reality to the desired future?

Obviously, I have some ideas and strategies in place and in mind, which I can share.

First, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts!

Realizeyourgrowth.com

Perhaps this actually fits better in the life purpose section. Could someone move it please?

Realizeyourgrowth.com

The lighting and spaciousness is good. I would add a lot more plants and air purifyers. The oxygen will make people want to come over just for the sake of oxygen. Maybe add an aquarium or a cat. If you have a special cat breed it can make people want to advertise your place. The devil is in the details.

I left this forum because a moderator has a problem with me talking positively about myself and giving advice. This reflects the forum as a whole. This place is negative, bitter, hateful and anti success. If you don't notice this that's because you're one of them. I hope some of you benefited from my posts. Take care.

Thanks for the tips. More plants, yes. Air purifyers, perhaps, I’ll keep that in mind. Cat and aquarium, no thanks ?

Realizeyourgrowth.com