Optimized Life

How to efficiently Research/Decide what brand of product to buy?

3 posts in this topic

Whenever I'm trying to buy a product ... (Laptop, Camera, Headphones, Software ect...)

I always struggle with the infinite amount of information and products online ... millions of youtubers & articles promoting different stuff. 

Then you go on amazon, you realize the product isn't so great from reviews .... back to square one. 

Right now I'm trying to buy a portable tripod for vlogging or simple photograph6 that's both budget but sufficient in quality & functionality (not too flimsy and can stand some wind, sturdy)

I'm willing to spend up to about $50 on it, ideally find a bargain. 

What's the right way to do this ... what am I missing in my approach? 
I know I overthink it perhaps ... but also whenever I buy it I'm unhappy with my items due to low quality or not tailored to my needs.

Edited by Optimized Life

Look at all the options, see wich ones you like and just buy one. Don´t be cheap. Better buy a product that´s a little more expensive but good quality than a cheaper one that breaks very fast. 

I got this one when I started out

https://www.amazon.de/Fotopro-Smartphone-Handyhalterung-Gorillapod-Digtalkamera/dp/B07DDBXYW7/ref=sr_1_35?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2V5WZE7IJ2R0U&keywords=mini+tripod&qid=1668715567&sprefix=mini+trip%2Caps%2C255&sr=8-35

But with tripods there is not much you can do wrong when you get one of the more popular ones. 

And when you you don´t like it, you use it for a bit, sell it and buy another one. 

Go on Amazon and search for 4+ star products and sort by average customer review. That’s my go to.

Also, let’s say your budget is $100.

Filter for products up to $100 but then sort by price high to low. This will now show you products that may be $100+, but on sale. Great way to filter high quality deals.

Also, for certain products, like headphones, a company like Audio Technica, which spends next to 0 advertising dollars and pretty much only makes headphones and sound equipment, is a great go to because that’s their specialty.

This can be applied to anything, if you’re willing to pay for quality - some companies are very straight forward.

Also, the habit of opening packages respectfully, so you can return- is something I do all of the time. Take great care of it and see if you like it, then return if it feels right.

Not the most ethical route, but sometimes you don’t know until you know.

Few more quick ways I get quality stuff:

- YouTube reviews

- word of mouth/observation of other peoples things

- regular reviews / FAQ / Google searches !!!

- I guess lastly, somethings just speak for themselves. Usually things that are plastic but also come in metal, are better, for example, not always. Just paying attention to weight, materials, etc helps a lot when deciding online

- if a lot of people have a product it’s usually good. I have no shame in copying.

Edited by mw711