The Mystical Man

The Northman (2022)

5 posts in this topic

Another good film by Robert Eggers:

Visually stunning. Powerful soundtrack. Great cast.

It's a more traditional Archplot with a clear inciting incident, progressive complications, and a satisfying climax. 

"The story of The Northman was based primarily on the legend of Amleth as written by Danish historian Saxo Grammaticus, known as the direct inspiration for William Shakespeare's Hamlet. Eggers cited the Poetic Edda, the Prose Edda, Egil's Saga, Grettir's Saga, the Eyrbyggja saga and the Saga of Hrolfr Kraki as additional influences. Eggers also acknowledged Conan the Barbarian as a source of inspiration." - Wikipedia

Eggers' other film, which is more a Miniplot/Antiplot:

I can't wait to see what Eggers does next.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

This shit looks hard. Can’t wait 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

13 minutes ago, thisintegrated said:

A bit shit, tbh.  Really wanted to like it.

Eggers makes movies that are enjoyable enough. Not every movie needs to be a masterpiece.

"Make a gift of your life and lift all mankind by being kind, considerate, forgiving, and compassionate at all times, in all places, and under all conditions, with everyone as well as yourself. That is the greatest gift anyone can give." - Dr. David R. Hawkins

When I'm at my limits at the gym, I think of this scene:

Spoiler ⬆️