Danioover9000

BERSERK 1997 anime, and manga

12 posts in this topic

Berserk is wonderful. He captures the shift from the angelic to the demonic which took place in Europe around the time of the Renaissance in a very evocative way. The opening story of the Manga (before the Golden Age arc), in which a gallivanting knight comes home to find his wife in an orgy with Baphomet, has stuck with me ever since!

What does it mean to you?

He who bathes in the light of Oeaohoo will never be deceived by the veil of Mâyâ. 

Helena Blavatsky, The Secret Doctrine

@MarkKol

11 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Berserk x Ufotable would be Insane

100% agree, and I don't know why Ufotable won't fuck with the BERSERK or any seinen mange/anime stuff, but they willing to fuck with Fate Stay Night, Fate Zero and another Fate series. If Ufotable gives the BERSERK anime the same quality as Fate Zero, and include manga panels, that's fantastic.

@zurew

On 2022-10-08 at 9:12 PM, zurew said:

1997 Berserk is perfect.

Nothing beats handmade, old-school animation and colours. As a manga, BERSERK is really good.

For example, look at the first 5 seasons of Sailor Moon, gem of an anime series, mixed with the manga, but the old school anime os Sailor Moon, sublime. Sailor Moon in Netflix, Jesus Christ please save me, my eyes have received too many bright and too vibrant colours, all the characters and the background elements are uniformly bright, which precure also suffers from. Old school Sailor Moon animators have great colour theory, how they separate the foreground and midground with just colour. Madoka Magica, both the anime series and the movies are pretty decent, way ahead from other modern day shoujo anime of it's time.

@Oeaohoo

On 2022-10-08 at 9:11 PM, Oeaohoo said:

Berserk is wonderful. He captures the shift from the angelic to the demonic which took place in Europe around the time of the Renaissance in a very evocative way. The opening story of the Manga (before the Golden Age arc), in which a gallivanting knight comes home to find his wife in an orgy with Baphomet, has stuck with me ever since!

What does it mean to you?

So many things that listing them here would crash the forum. Also, BERSERK has 100's of sources of inspiration, some from spirituality, philosophy, and Hellraiser. The story structure is also inspired by existentialism and Nihilism, and the Greek tragedy, and so many other sources.

I Loved Griffith most. He had all the good qualities one could seek in life. A strong, intelligent and loving leader, friend and visionary. He was strong yet loving, careless yet determined, intelligent yet fun. He inspired me a lot to be honest. 

Yet, a whole year of torture can break the strongest men and turn th into devils,, apperantly xD

@Danioover9000 what other anime shows could be on the legendary level that is berserk? In the anime world you literally  swim in  an ocean of shit until you find a good show :P.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

@LSD-Rumi

10 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

I Loved Griffith most. He had all the good qualities one could seek in life. A strong, intelligent and loving leader, friend and visionary. He was strong yet loving, careless yet determined, intelligent yet fun. He inspired me a lot to be honest. 

Yet, a whole year of torture can break the strongest men and turn th into devils,, apperantly xD

Griffith's a great example of antagonist done right, and ambition at its finest, and at its worst. Difficult for me to draw him and get it right without making him look too girly. Originally, he was based on a female character in the one-chapter draft of BERSERK, but the author changed it. I could actually see it working for Griffith if he was a woman, and the whole love triangle between him, Guts and Caska. A female Griffith's god hand design would be different though, since Slan has the demonic angel succubus design, so maybe it would have been a classic angelic design, to serve as heavy contrast to all the demonic designs the Apostles have and the god hand members and the idea of evil?

An angelic design, with those eye ribbons around her and her halo being unique, in strange loop structures would have been cool.

16 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

Difficult for me to draw him and get it right without making him look too girly

Made these using AI

Rumiman009_protrait_octane_render_70521b04-efe5-469e-87ea-05bfb56dbb67.png

Rumiman009_Griffith_from_Berserk_anime_face_details_protrait_pe_c28c0b11-525c-4cab-a787-f3e94b5acae3.png

@LSD-Rumi

10 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

@Danioover9000 what other anime shows could be on the legendary level that is berserk? In the anime world you literally  swim in  an ocean of shit until you find a good show :P.

About 20 years of my life spent watching cartoons, anime and playing video games. I turn alright.