OhHiMark

Pressure To "give In"

9 posts in this topic

You know that mental or physical pressure you get to just give in in some situations.

When someone compliments me I usually have a build up of pressure which is released by downplaying the compliment i.e making a joke of it, making it out to not be a big deal, instead of a 'thank you'

I've noticed this in all aspects of Life, I'm guessing it's the ego at play (feeling threatened? Even by compliments?) My aim from now on is to harness this pressure and see where it goes. I don't think I've ever not given in to pressure of some sort but I think they plays a huge part in who I am as a person. Once I harness this pressure I think it answers a lot of questions.

Is pressure a good indicator of progress, or at least the door into progress? By giving in are you just resetting?

Your awareness to the 'pressure' and posting this topic to me are signs of huge progress! Many people are simply hung over today and not doing anything at all in the PD category, which is cyclical to the reason they drank so much last night. But you, you are not doing that. You are doing this. Next time someone pays you a compliment, think off that, and say "thank you". You deserve the compliments. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

26 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Your awareness to the 'pressure' and posting this topic to me are signs of huge progress! Many people are simply hung over today and not doing anything at all in the PD category, which is cyclical to the reason they drank so much last night. But you, you are not doing that. You are doing this. Next time someone pays you a compliment, think off that, and say "thank you". You deserve the compliments. 

Nahm, thank you.

Nothing feels more powerful to me than having a productive day where I've kept to my word rather than when I've spent a day on dating apps, self indulgent behavior or other not so great things, it feels like it fills the void and takes the pressure off but ultimately I feel empty. The former I feel like I'm going up a level.

I don't think I've ever made it over a "pressure wave" or a number of waves. Will be interesting.

@OhHiMark thank you. The 'pressure' is cognitive dissonance in a way. The pressure you're feeling is the experience of new information (the compliment) meeting your belief, and your brain kind of saying "this shit don't fit together, here's a bad emotion to let you know something ain't right". 

So the path to liberation is, what is the belief you hold? 

Edited by Nahm

37 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@OhHiMark thank you. The 'pressure' is cognitive dissonance in a way. The pressure you're feeling is the experience of new information (the compliment) meeting your belief, and your brain kind of saying "this shit don't fit together, here's a bad emotion to let you know something ain't right". 

So the path to liberation is, what is the belief you hold? 

Powerful stuff.

I used to hate the way I looked, I started to go gym and got positive compliments. I'm guessing this is the brain stuck in 'Hate myself mode'. I'll accept your compliment, but as a safety measure incase you're lying to me I'm going to downplay it to make me seem more humble and also to prevent myself from getting hurt.

@OhHiMark Completely off topic... I did not hit her! I did not!!!! :D Okay, resume your conversation. 

If you’re interested in developing Emotional Mastery and feeling more comfortable in your own skin, click the link below to register for my FREE Emotional Mastery Webinar…

Emotionalmastery.org

2 hours ago, OhHiMark said:

Powerful stuff.

I used to hate the way I looked, I started to go gym and got positive compliments. I'm guessing this is the brain stuck in 'Hate myself mode'. I'll accept your compliment, but as a safety measure incase you're lying to me I'm going to downplay it to make me seem more humble and also to prevent myself from getting hurt.

i think you're rockin on the self awareness path.  maybe start handing out a lot of compliments for a while. make it some research. notice peoples reactions and notice it reveals their beliefs. dig?

1 hour ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

@OhHiMark Completely off topic... I did not hit her! I did not!!!! :D Okay, resume your conversation. 

Yes! The best, worst movie ever created. Look out for the remake with James Franco. :D

Edited by OhHiMark
mutliquoting

5 minutes ago, Nahm said:

i think you're rockin on the self awareness path.  maybe start handing out a lot of compliments for a while. make it some research. notice peoples reactions and notice it reveals their beliefs. dig?

I shall continue, thanks for the comments, it's always reassuring to know a little about what you're feeling.