Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LordFall

The fascinating field of DIY biology

4 posts in this topic

I'm curious if anyone here is familiar with this and what you guys think of this. In my usual late-night weed-fueled internet rabbit hole research sessions, I stumbled onto one of the most interesting concepts I've ever found: DIY biology.

There is a surprisingly big community of people that create home labs and conduct research and experiments both by themselves and on themselves.

Here is an example where people implant themselves with a finger magnet to be able to develop the new sens of sensing electromagnetic fields:

(Warning NSW, blood and a surgical procedure)

The same creator has various projects and a current one where he aims to grow human neurons and connect them to a computer:

To me, this field is beyond fascinating and I'll have to keep investigating this in the coming years. It closely intertwines with the transhumanism community that I'm also a huge fan of. It seems like it's very similar to the self-actualization work that we do here but much more up close and physical as opposed to experimenting with your consciousness with things like psychedelic work. 

In our current world of decentralization, I find it fascinating that things like this are not just left to governmental organizations/corporations behind closed doors. Reminds me of Steve Wozniak/Steve Jobs doing the same thing but with computers and electrical engineering to come up with Apple and the other people that did DIY engineering work.

Very curious what you guys think of this and if you've ever heard of this before @Leo Gura.

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

CRISPR and AI will radically change what a human is. We will practically stay forever young and become orders of magnitude more intelligent. Don't waste your time implanting some magnets or stupid shit like that. Stay healthy and fit so you can leverage all the new technology that will emerge over the coming decades.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Nilsi I'm honestly not familiar with CRISPR or the philosophy behind it, is it patented technology or open source? The main reason I like the idea of diy biohacking is you can bypass mainstream corporate agendas and take the matter (and your body) into your own hands.

I don't really want an Amazon esque entity in my genes(I guess Pfizer already is.)

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3

6 hours ago, LordFall said:

@Nilsi I'm honestly not familiar with CRISPR or the philosophy behind it, is it patented technology or open source? The main reason I like the idea of diy biohacking is you can bypass mainstream corporate agendas and take the matter (and your body) into your own hands.

I don't really want an Amazon esque entity in my genes(I guess Pfizer already is.)

There is no agenda other than making the technology as cheap and accessible as possible. I'm not going to get into the obvious problems with that here, since you're just interested in the technological applications of which there will be nearly unlimited (you can change your genome however you want).

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus