Tristan12

Is it unhealthy to be nocturnal?

4 posts in this topic

Over the past few years I have been staying up all night and sleeping during the day. I much prefer being awake at night and working then because I love the dark and peaceful atmosphere. I feel like it's perfect for inner work. I've been going to bed at 6am and waking up around 2:30pm.

I'm concerned about it possibly being unhealthy to do this. I've done some research on if this could be bad for my health, and from what I heard it seems like getting enough sleep and sleeping at the same time every day is the most important part, which I do, but I've heard varying ideas on if being awake all night and sleeping during the day is actually bad for you.

I have noticed that I wake up a lot while I sleep which I never used to do before, although I don't have any trouble getting back to sleep and I feel well-rested when I wake up. The room I sleep in is dark but there is some noise throughout the day because I live with other people but that should change when I eventually get my own place.

I'm wondering if anyone on here knows much about sleep and if it would be bad for my health to continue to sleep like this?

"We are born of Love, Love is our mother" - Rumi

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9vkQMt-MlvK9Xvnf-Ji

Yes being nocturnal is a literal carcinogen for human. We have risen with the sun for the last 200K+ years. To go against that is asking for trouble. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

Maybe you can have a normal sleep cycle but still, keep some of the things you like about the night like the quietness and the contemplative vibe. Buy moving out closer to nature/solitude. 

10 hours ago, TheNovice said:

Maybe you can have a normal sleep cycle but still, keep some of the things you like about the night like the quietness and the contemplative vibe. Buy moving out closer to nature/solitude. 

Yeah I might try doing that instead once i'm able to

"We are born of Love, Love is our mother" - Rumi

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9vkQMt-MlvK9Xvnf-Ji