Nilsi

Top 5 greatest bands of all time

48 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

I'm saying most great musicians are semi-famous, because being actually famous requires the famous action of "selling out" or being an average basic band for the masses.

Thats mostly true I would say, but historically the greatest musicians were also the most famous. Granted, nowadays the big record labels look for the most marketable knuckleheads, suck them dry and then move on to the next shiny thing; but of course being a great musician and selling a lot of music can still have significant overlap and we still see some great musicians coming to prominence from time to time (although the quantity and quality of those specimen is still significantly decreasing, by virtue of market forces and peoples intellect and creativity being stunted in general).

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

1 hour ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

I'm saying most great musicians are semi-famous, because being actually famous requires the famous action of "selling out" or being an average basic band for the masses.

Zappa said it the best

6:57

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

Zappa said it the best

6:57

There's a grammatical error at 7:48! The programmer will only play it unless it's totally safe!? He will only play unsafe music, not safe music!!?!?

Anyway, Zappa's cognitive IQ could probably be 135. His musical IQ could be 150, if Beethoven was 200+.

Jaz Coleman's cognitive IQ would be around 158 (just short of genius, because of his frequent associations/beliefs with paranoid conspiracy theories like chemtrails and a nuclear war that happened on the Indian subcontinent 2000 years ago). 

There is his book Letters from Cythera:

Letters from Cythera traces the author's various metaphysical and philosophical ideas and their influence on his music.

Also outlined in the work is the Supersynthesis, a Renaissance principle that has enabled and facilitated Jaz Coleman's many accomplishments, spanning acting, conducting, singing, composing, geomancy, architecture, music production, occult history and Hermetic systems.

Letters from Cythera was written from the isolated perspective of the author's residence on a South Pacific Island.

His musical IQ might be 170.

EDIT: Also Jaz Coleman was / is an eater of mushrooms.

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

1 hour ago, Cireeric said:

I strongly recommend listening to this :D 

The whole album is pretty good, but that's the kind of music I listen to once and never actually go back to.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

5 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

There's a grammatical error at 7:48! The programmer will only play it unless it's totally safe!? He will only play unsafe music, not safe music!!?!?

I didn't catch that even after watching it 3-4 times lol. I still understood perfectly what he was saying though :) 

5 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

Anyway, Zappa's cognitive IQ could probably be 135. His musical IQ could be 150, if Beethoven was 200+.

Idk man, the way he applied the concept of nested tuplets was just beyond genius, both cognitively and musically.

Last Zappa thing I'm posting, I swear :D. Steve Vai won a grammy for this live performance of Zappa's "Sofa", played at his tribute concert just after his death: