LSD-Rumi

A very smart analysis of Elden Ring and open world games

3 posts in this topic

watch the part where he talks about open-world games ( it is like 10 min). 

Edited by LSD-Rumi

Damn, makes me want to try it even less now. Somehow I felt they reached a climax with DS 3, which was just ridiculously difficult, yet not as challenging as DS2. Maybe they felt they had to numb it down to attract larger masses. That's what happened to Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Total War series and Far Cry and many other once amazing series. 

I made it about 60% through which ended with a rage quit after being gang raped by invading demons right before a bonfire and losing a shitload of souls twice in a row  :D .  I think I'd like to give it another go. 

Great analysis tho, only watched about 15 minutes but he is making lots of excellent points there. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569  It is not  about the difficulty tho, it is about the shift into open-world formula. There is something inherently wrong with open-world games, he goes deeper into this point later in the video. Basically  expect the worse when you hear a game is going open-world. 

Linear experiences  offer some serious advatages over open world design. the experience that the player has playing the game, the scenes he sees, the enemies he faces, the scnearios he encounters are much more well controlled by the creator which allows for a richer experiences. But that also doesn't mean that Open-world games cannot be good. They actually can! but it requires a differernt approach than That we see with companies like Ubisoft. 

Edited by LSD-Rumi