Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmcnicho

Library of Babel and Consciousness

6 posts in this topic

There was a thread on this topic about 4 years ago, but I felt like I had a bit more to add

Basically the idea is that if you typed out random characters for a long enough amount of time, that you would eventually end up with everything that ever has been written and everything that ever could be written.  That the number of combinations of English characters on a typed page are astronomically large, but not infinite

The same can be done with images, because there’s a finite number of color pixels in a standard size photograph.  This works such that you can upload any image to the Gallery of Babel website and it already has a precise position within its algorithmically generated series of random images.  Try it! It’s super cool!

https://babelia.libraryofbabel.info/imagesearch.html

What I’m wondering about is that in the previous thread, Leo said that Reality/God didn’t work like this.  That reality isn’t an infinite set of all possible permutations, but rather an intelligent process

This seems from my limited perspective to suggest a duality between intelligence and non-intelligence.  If Reality is both Absolutely Infinite and completely unbiased, then why wouldn’t the astronomical majority of, for example, conscious visual experience in existence be completely random dots?  Every conceivable object or structure would then be an infinitesimal rarity in comparison.  And why wouldn’t every other conceivable sense or form of consciousness operate similarly?

@Leo Gura Basically I’m wondering what you mean by the word “Intelligent”. Does this imply that Reality has a bias against non-intelligence?  Such that reality consists of far less unintelligible noise than would be expected from a process of an infinite number of random permutations?

1 hour ago, bmcnicho said:

What I’m wondering about is that in the previous thread, Leo said that Reality/God didn’t work like this.  That reality isn’t an infinite set of all possible permutations, but rather an intelligent process

It's sorta both.

It is every possibility but it also manifests itself intelligently.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Actually brute forcing "every" scenario like this would not get you with absolutely everything. God is so intelligent it can make things you cannot achieve with stupid brute forcing like this. That's how intelligent infinity is. It doesn't make logical sense, since seemingly brute forcing would get you with "everything", but in reality it doesn't. Infinity is beyond logic, it is a mindfuck.

It's hard to communicate this idea with words, you have to really get deep into infinite intelligence to understand this. It won't make sense unless if you become conscious of the depth of infinite intelligence, otherwise it seems like the unintelligent noise scenarios are greater than the intelligent scenarios. But actually the amount of intelligent scenarios are infinitely greater than the random noise ones you get by unintelligent brute forcing. Of course, I cannot show to you how, because my state is not this intelligent right now.

The unintelligent brute forcing does not actually contain intelligence, but intelligence contains apparent unintelligence. Infinite intelligence is so intelligent that it literally has no limits in any way... I can't put it into words how deep this goes. It isn't restrained by anything. Anything you can think of, is not a problem or a limitation for it.

Another aspect of infinite intelligence is that it has infinite resolution, there can basically be infinite detail in any piece of consciousness. 

I am Physically Immortal

I am also more than God :)

@amanen Does what you’re getting at have anything to do with different sizes of infinity? 

The way I understand it, Absolute Infinity would also include an infinite number of “smaller” infinites within it.  My question was implying that if reality was assembled in a completely unbiased way, then the amount of infinite noise would be far “larger” than the amount of infinite meaning

But your response made me consider the possibility that sizes of infinity could be a relative phenomenon.  If Reality is truly unlimited, then of course the number of intelligent scenarios could outcompete the noise.  Maybe it’s like a version of the Omnipotence Paradox; if Reality is truly infinite, then any infinity must be capable of being greater than any other infinity

2 hours ago, bmcnicho said:

the number of intelligent scenarios could outcompete the noise.

Or, maybe noise is Intelligent ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.