Ulax

Reconciling post-modernism and the modernist theories we value

7 posts in this topic

Hi all.

So, I'm very persuaded by the post-structuralist point of view. Leo's video on the matter seems to show Leo is also of the same opinion, and many other users on here seem to be the same.

To my understanding, one of the implications of such a point of view is the rejection of all grand narratives.

To my mind, it follows that things like spiral dynamics, stages of ego development, attempts at political analysis made in terms of ego, or really any attempt at analysis of situations must too be rejected. For, to my mind, they are modernist models, attempting to portray some grand narrative.

However, on the forum we do not reject these things, and have long discussions about them, including Leo.

I find value in many of these analytical models. However, I can't personally reconcile how one could see them an anything but aritrary if one is also committed to a postmodern position.

I welcome perspectives on this. Thanks in advance.

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

What you're most likely looking for is metamodernism. It's an emerging  post-poatmoder  meta-paradigm which takes a developmental view that transcends and includes both modernism and postmodernism.

https://www.google.com/search?q=metamodernism&oq=metamodernism&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l7.3332j0j7&client=ms-android-gotron&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

If you're looking for a book on the subject, The Listening Society by Hanzi Freinacht is the first book I'd recommend.

If you prefer fiction / essays, David Foster Wallace was an early metamodern author who might be worth checking out as well 

41nNthNIA3L._SX342_SY445_QL70_ML2_ (1).jpg

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

@DocWatts Thanks man. I'll check it out

Be-Do-Have

Check out Ken Wilbers work, he talks about this ad nauseam.

Also, since you are aware of spiral dynamics, you will know, that postmodernism is called stage green, and there are two higher states being postulated - should make you wonder, whether postomoderinsim is really that sophisticated.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Nilsi Just seen this, but thanks.

Do you know of a specific book/ section of a book, where Wilber talks about this specifically?

Edited by Ulax

Be-Do-Have

If other folks were curious about this, I found this video of Leo's rather helpful on the issue:

Be-Do-Have

On 9/7/2022 at 8:26 PM, Ulax said:

@Nilsi Just seen this, but thanks.

Do you know of a specific book/ section of a book, where Wilber talks about this specifically?

"Sex, Ecology, Spirituality" should drive the point home quite well.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus