Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flyingguitarist

Youth .. what are your thoughts ?

2 posts in this topic

As he mentions online colleges, do you know any that are worth spending for?

From my experience (a recent graduate from University) it's worth it avoiding the prestigious schools and going to a much more affordable one where you can get the same degree, with just a different "brand".

After that, the actual program matters. Mine was business, with an emphasis in accounting. There is no lack of accounting jobs out there. I would not choose a program without good knowledge on the job market when I graduate. If your goal is a solid career and security, not all programs are worth going to university for. Most can be outperformed by going to a trades school.

Then, the final thing, is going to University/College and coming out with just a degree would be a waste to me. Degrees alone don't get you jobs from my experience. You need to use your 4 year status as a "hungry and eager to learn student" to get internships, network, and meet mentors. I got real good advice in university. Someone said, right now people see you as a student, but when you graduate they'll just see you as unemployed. So during university I did 2 finance summer internships which led to me making great connections and getting a full time job offer. 

The end result for me was getting an affordable and great degree, getting real job experience, building a network, and then finally getting a full time job with great growth potential in a secure industry.