Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ariesleith

Book "Corpus Hermetica" Clearly agrees with Leo

5 posts in this topic

Here are some remarkable excerpts from this little-known book from the Hellenic period in Greece: " They rise up to the father in order and surrender themselves to the powers, and, having become powers, they enter into god. This is the final good for those who have received knowledge: to be made god. Why do you still delay? Having learned all this, should you not become guide to the worthy so that through you the human race might be saved by god?"

That is from the 6th page las paragraph of the :"HERMETICA The Greek Corpus Hermeticutn and the Latin Asclepius in a new English translation, with notes and introduction BRIAN P. COPENHAVER"

It goes on beautifully:

"As he was saying this to me, Poimandres joined with the powers. Then he sent me forth, empowered and instructed on the nature of the universe and on the supreme vision, after I had given thanks to the father of all and praised him. And I began proclaiming to mankind the beauty of reverence and knowledge: "People, earthborn men, you who have surrendered yourselves to drunkenness and sleep and ignorance of god, make yourselves sober and end your drunken sickness, for you are bewitched in unreasoning sleep." [28] When they heard, they gathered round with one accord. And I said, "Why have you surrendered yourselves to death, earthborn men, since you have the right to share in immortality? You who have journeyed with error, who have partnered with ignorance, think again: escape the shadowy light; leave corruption behind and take a share in immortality."..."

P.S. I got this book free of charge by simply googling the title and then pdf and clicking on some pages , as you can do with most old books 

Edited by Ariesleith
Miss type

@Ariesleith Good find. Not that surprising in a way... the Eleusinian initiations involved the imbibement of potent psychedelics (ergot and possibly psilocybin)

Apparently.

@axiomfyi this book is a confusing one to source. It was translated from Latin into Greek and was housed in Arabic temples. So I wouldn't say it is of Greek origin-although simplistically it is, so for the lay man it is easier to just say that.  Terence McKenna was saying how others thought it came from Egyptians before Christ but then that was proven wrong but that there may be some truth in that because during the Hellenic period there were Egyptian hierophants in Greece that most likely transmitted this kind of knowledge lets say. So it isn't just simply Greek. It is actually more like Roman-Greek-Egyptian. I know it is confusing. But if you have a familiarity with Greek culture post Plato( this book is 600 years after Plato) then this book will stick out like a sore thumb, it is completely strange compared to Aristotle and Hegel, at least. It seems like a book outside the history of philosophy and in that way helps immensely in the understanding of the history of philosophy.