Vido

How to deal with urges Leo Practically?

4 posts in this topic

I recently have this intense urge to buy Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra and I even have the money for it to buy it at full price however, I know it's better to wait till Feb to buy the new version of the phone, and spend the money I have to build better social circles and buy the Leo's course if it does come out soon.

I feel this intense sensation in the base of my spine and an intense urge to act in a certain way. I am being mindful of it and did some deep breathing but with that, I can tolerate it but the urge hasn't gone yet

What do I do preactically to get rid of the sensation?

@Vido

What does "getting this particular phone" , or purchasing "stuff in general" mean to you, so to speak, what do you out of it? 

What is the underlying need that creates the desire? 

It is rational, or is it irrational?

Sometimes it's rationally sound to get a new phone, say the battery time is no longer keeping for the day, and keeping it charged is a hassle. Then getting a new phone is rationally sound.

Other times it's not rational, for example that you have a need to have the latest and greatest, so that others can see and comment your purchase, gaining some kind of status, or you in some other way feel like a better and more worth human being by getting this phone. That particular phone starts to matter, the monetary and status value of the purchase. 

Or, maybe you've built an addiction to the dopamines and serotonins that you get from making purchases, during the hunt, ramping up towards buying, learning about models, and the short and passing rush after the purchase has been made, only to start craving for something new, where the addiction/process has become a problem. 

Quite likely a combination or both. 

Learning about the underlying needs and addressing those is the best approach, becoming aware of and in the process changing what purchases mean to us. 

Urges to buy comes in waves, breaking the information hoarding phase, reduces the purchase need.

Adding a week of cool-down time (not feeding ourselves with more information about the purchase) before making any choice to make a puchase helps, as the desire is, often in the moment, and you get a kick out of acting on the impulse.

If you have had a lot of purchase impulses, e.g. every other day you find a new magical thing that you just need to have, cooling down and looking back allows us to see that it indeed was impulsive, and getting this thing is no longer as strong. 

I have no need to buy stuff anymore, I used to, but the impulses still come, and I can easily manage them, by looking rationally at the thing. 

Much of my addiction was centered around buying material status to raise my self esteem, which of course was an illusion, and did not work, regardless of all the attention and comments my purchases elicited. 

After addressing this deeper issue, some material needs from the past are so blantently reminding me of my pursuit for acceptance, that today they help me to rationalize also around purchases of lesser monetary value. 

Do we own the things we buy, or do the things we buy own and control us? What really is the relationship here. 

Or, you just need a phone, and it's a one time thing, heck, buy the phone and make no fuss about it, it's a thing for surfing, messaging and maybe calling people with ^_^

TLDR; Why we desire stuff matters, explore that, become aware, make connection, then purchase based on a healthy behaviors. 

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

@Vido

To be honest it doesn't really matter what choice you're going to make, because at the end of the day you'll learn from the bad ones and benefit from the good ones so it's win-win. Again we face this same situation that if you'd just have more money there wouldn't even be such problems. That's what I was trying to explain in my last post and I'll make new one about this thing maybe soon. People need to understand that having speed in life which comes from male energy and freedom which comes from money allows you to grow faster and better in life and therefore those things shouldn't be suppressed especially when working towards spiritual goals.

-joNi-

Who told you that "others" are real?

1 minute ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Vido

To be honest it doesn't really matter what choice you're going to make, because at the end of the day you'll learn from the bad ones and benefit from the good ones so it's win-win. Again we face this same situation that if you'd just have more money there wouldn't even be such problems. That's what I was trying to explain in my last post and I'll make new one about this thing maybe soon. People need to understand that having speed in life which comes from male energy and freedom which comes from money allows you to grow faster and better in life and therefore those things shouldn't be suppressed especially when working towards spiritual goals.

-joNi-

True, I got the phone but on a 2 year plan and an option to pay it all off anytime I want.

I do YT videos as well, so I thought I will get it since the desire is too strong to ignore. I tried dealing with it for 6 hrs with breathing etc

Hey, atleast I have a cool phone now and one item off my vision board

This entire thing stated from a dream actually. In the dream, someone forget's his phone beside me and when I tried to open the phone it was unlocked. I was contemplating if I should take the phone or return it to the stranger. I decided that I will keep the phone for 3 hrs and if no one calls, I will wipe all the data, switch it off, wait for a month and use it for myself

When I woke up, I looked and I thought, damn, I don't to put myself in a situation where I have to steal it when I have the money. So that's I think was the beginning of the desire