integral

Tryptophan significantly reduces the default mode network

6 posts in this topic

Is there anything dangerous about taking 200mg of tryptophan daily?

ive noticed the effects are fantastic for entering flow states, body awareness, reducing stress and mental chatter. 

Taking it daily for a month i believe helps in making slow rewiring of cognitive habits. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Exploring the effects of an unbalanced neurochemistry might be good once in a while, but you'll have withdrawals when you stop taking it. At least that is what happened when I took 5HTP the day before an oral exam. I had really bad anxiety. 5HTP is just one step further in the serotonin synthesis process than tryptophan, so I bet it's pretty much the same.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 2022-07-16 at 8:17 AM, Carl-Richard said:

Exploring the effects of an unbalanced neurochemistry might be good once in a while, but you'll have withdrawals when you stop taking it. At least that is what happened when I took 5HTP the day before an oral exam. I had really bad anxiety. 5HTP is just one step further in the serotonin synthesis process than tryptophan, so I bet it's pretty much the same.

Is it possible to experiment with tryptophan to compare the effects?

Personally they have different experiences, tryptophan is also an essential amino acid that can only be found in food. There is a daily recommendated amount. A single turkey breast could have up to 300 mg!

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

2 hours ago, integral said:

Is it possible to experiment with tryptophan to compare the effects?

Personally they have different experiences, tryptophan is also an essential amino acid that can only be found in food. There is a daily recommendated amount. A single turkey breast could have up to 300 mg!

Probably, but tryptophan is literally converted into 5HTP before it is converted into serotonin. The only difference is that tryptophan is also converted into other things like vitamin B3 and competes for transport across the blood-brain barrier with a few other amino acids like tyrosine, so you need a higher dose for the same effect.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:51 AM, Carl-Richard said:

Probably, but tryptophan is literally converted into 5HTP before it is converted into serotonin. The only difference is that tryptophan is also converted into other things like vitamin B3 and competes for transport across the blood-brain barrier with a few other amino acids like tyrosine, so you need a higher dose for the same effect.

Its possible there is more to it then that. I'm not going to link anything doe, the general idea is its a essential amino acid that plays a major role in hundreds of processes in the body. While 5-htp only purpose is serotonin it seems, its one path out of hundreds? 

Edited by integral

@integral kynurenine pathway is one of those to be mindful of. Some people activate it more than other but there is some association with mental health disorders and chronic inflammation. Although I have no idea what impacts how much tryptophan gets shunned down this pathway.... genetics, microbiome, any ongoing health disorders and certain meds may (or may not) accelerate opening of this channel. 

But it would be a possible explanation why some people actualy feel worse upon taking TT 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus