Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zega

The Problem With Voting Democrat

4 posts in this topic

I've noticed that the voter turnout for the last major election had record participation for numerous reasons. Great!

However, in a somewhat recent post, a girl was grazed by a bullet and Ann Brenoff replied with the classic "vote harder" take the DNC pushes. This response is disheartening for people who voted blue and has become a sort of, "Thoughts and prayers" for the left. Despite record turnouts we still can't get momentum in the right direction from the politicians we vote for.

The problem with voting for the Democratic party is that young people see this inaction and it increases voter apathy; they either don't vote anymore or they vote 3rd party. Either is like giving a vote to the republicans since they vote religiously. 

It's Important to vote but we need collective movement to make things happen. Republicans are great at this, I mean they were ready to storm the capitol on Jan 6th. If the left had that same energy but for organizing for something like healthcare, unions, or student loan forgiveness then we could make meaningful change in this country.

This is disconcerting because I feel like we have great potential to go in either direction right now and I don't feel like there's enough enthusiasm for organization. 

There will be plenty of enthusiasm to organize when the true exisistential threat of Republican dominence becomes realized. Right now too many people are ignorant and apathetic. Leo's correct in saying suffering is the greatest teacher. I just fear what extent of suffering it will take in order for people (particularly young people) to become poltically engaged.

1 hour ago, Zega said:

It's Important to vote but we need collective movement to make things happen. Republicans are great at this, I mean they were ready to storm the capitol on Jan 6th. If the left had that same energy but for organizing for something like healthcare, unions, or student loan forgiveness then we could make meaningful change in this country.

You're forgetting about blm protests. 

Why do you have only two parties anyway? This is not democracy at all.

In Slovenia we have multiple parties. There are more options to choose from. We also have only one parlament, no "upper" and no "lower" houses, or whatever else nonsense. More and more i realize that we and most other european countries have more democracy then you in the Usa.

Why don't you change your authoritarian system?

Edited by Bojan V