melontonin

How true is law of attraction?

4 posts in this topic

Hi, hope you're all doing well.

What is everyone's perspective on the law of attraction? How much truth is there to it? Any? 

I hear a lot of very conflicting perspectives on it. For example, I hear a lot of people whose opinions I respect - Stage Yellow and beyond thinkers - not regarding it as having much truth. These include:

- Ken Wilber

- Jamie Wheal 

- Bernardo Kastrup 

- John Vervaeke

Ken Wilber's criticism in particular is interesting because he talks about how it's based in narcissism - the idea that the universe effectively revolves around your egoic desires to deliver you what you need.

On the other hand, you see so many people with massive success claiming that they did it through the law of attraction - i'm thinking in particular a lot of artists, musicians, spiritual teachers etc. Could it be a placebo where believing it is the case makes you put all the effort in required to do it and that ends up actually creating the success you wanted?

Another thought i had on it is maybe it's not some ontologically existing law but it's effectively just the utility of the principle that if you focus on what you want rather than what you don't want.

I don't know, I'm interested in hearing your perspectives.

Peace and love

Whether it's some kind of supernatural force or not is up to you to decide. If you're interested in a more rational explanation, it's the case that mentally orienting yourself towards a goal will increase the chances of you doing the right things for that goal to become a reality. It's kinda like "duh", but it's easy to underestimate the power of goals and how they shape your mind.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@melontonin You can see how it works on a small scale:

ex. You think of think of drinking water ------> then you actually go do it and have the experience.

------

So we can assume it can work on a bigger scale aswell. Harder to do and to prove but we can get some hints.

Ex. Manipulating your feelings, beliefs and mindset is already a form of law of attraction applied.
      By having the right kind of feeling, right now, throwing in the bin limiting beliefs, replacing them with better beliefs,                               having a clearer and detailed idea of what you want, you are in a sense, already closer to your goal.

If you apply this priciples, tied with visualization for example, you'll start to get syncronicities etc., and those are certainly real, and are not mistakable for "random coincidences". Look at Jung's work for referance.

This of course doesn't mean that you should be sitting for the fruit to fall in you hand, work and action is still needed,
so as it is said: "God helps those who help themselves".

no magic, this is being logical.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:14 PM, melontonin said:

Ken Wilber's criticism in particular is interesting because he talks about how it's based in narcissism - the idea that the universe effectively revolves around your egoic desires to deliver you what you need.

This is true, but doesn't disprove the law of attraction, because  reality is impersonal, but still structured by laws.
In the Dream, you know the laws well enough, you can know how to use them, an if you know howw to use them, you can get what you want faster.

Edited by _Archangel_

The Law of Attraction works in the material world of duality. I actually think the Law of Assumption by Neville Goddard is even more powerful. Neville Goddard's teachings on the Law of Assumption almost remind me of witchcraft because of how much they can control reality.

But I agree with what Ken Wilber said about ego and narcissism.

Law of Attraction's weakness , in my opinion, is the topic of death.

None of these teachers go deeply into how everything we manifest into our lives will decay and die.

Realizing that all manifestations end in death is not a hot topic for the Law of Attraction.

The ego/narcissism hates talking about death. 

But you can't really avoid death. So the Law of Attraction is an incomplete teaching.

Edited by Brittany