Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ineedanswers

Nonduality and immortality by mind uploading

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I’ve recently been watching videos on how immortality might be possible by uploading our minds. Apparently some scientists think it’s very possible. I’m curious what all of you’lls view is on this

1) do you think the uploading of mind and living forever is possible?

2) if so what would this mean for nonduality? I’ve heard teachers say that one of the main purposes of creation is re realize that you are god and not the ego. If we are able to upload our egos and become immortal would we become permanently separated from god?

teachers like Rupert spira claim that all mental suffering is actually a result of us being disconnected from our true nature (ie-god).        If ego immortality through mind uploading is possible wouldn’t this mean we would be in a permanent state of dissatisfaction due to being permanently separated from god.

@Ineedanswers Presumably this uploading can take place before or after you die. Let's assume it is done before you die. You watch the technicians uploading your ego... 

10% uploaded
20% uploaded...
50% uploaded...
100% uploaded...

One of the technicians turns to you and says: "OK, Sir. We've completed the upload of your ego. You are now immortal".

Strangely, you don't feel any different.

The next day you get hit by a car and are killed instantly.

Apparently.

You die every single moment without exception. That is what is meant by the cycle of birth and death, it is taking place to you right now.

I assume you mean to retain your consciousness by uploading it somewhere... That would be impossible though. How would you upload nothing?

@RMQualtrough I think the possibiltybof uploading only exists if you assume physicalism . Ie- consciousness is a product of the movements of atoms etc in the brain

@axiom ?? I don’t think it’ll be possible to die in the digital world. 

I think we would make ourselves immune to pain

46 minutes ago, Ineedanswers said:

@RMQualtrough I think the possibiltybof uploading only exists if you assume physicalism . Ie- consciousness is a product of the movements of atoms etc in the brain

Even if it were, I still don't see how you could upload literal nothing. I think you can only upload things.

13 hours ago, JoeVolcano said:

@Ineedanswers How about this then: 

You watch the technicians uploading your ego... 

10% uploaded
20% uploaded...
50% uploaded...
100% uploaded...

One of the technicians turns to you and says: "OK, Sir. We've completed the upload of your ego. You are now immortal".

Then they download the data into a clone of you.

Strangely, you still don't feel any different.

So you're sitting in the upload chair, looking at the clone in the download chair. Is that clone you?

If that clone outlives you, will that have extended your life?

Cheers

Yes, the same point I was making I guess :)

The same sort of problem would occur with teleportation technology, should it ever be invented. I mean - they can "teleport" information using quantum entanglement. Maybe one day they'll extend this to the macro level.

For example, you want to travel to the other side of the world instantly.

You step into the teleport.

They copy all of the information down to the atomic level, send it to a supercomputer on the other side of the world, and recreate you at that location.

You are still sitting in the teleport wondering when you'll arrive at your destination.

Moments later, the devious 'Teleports R Us' organisation opens the teleport door and slices you to pieces with a machete, puts your remains into a bag and throws it to the bottom of a river ... along with all the others.

Simultaneously, a version of you with all of your memories - that thinks it is you - materialises at the destination and happily goes on with its life, none the wiser.

... and looks forward to its return journey after the conference :)

Edited by axiom

Apparently.