Steph1988

Non Self Improvement Books

3 posts in this topic

What are some books you've read that don't have the specific  aim of self improvement in mind but they did inspire or change u for the better? So the best books for me where not actually self improvement books (although i loved reading them of course )  but where more like stories or talking about society in general.

Here are some examples from me i can recommend to everyone and most of them i have read multiple times also spend some time reflecting on them.

- The ascent of humanity by charles Eisenstein

This one talks about the idea of humans separation from nature and the idea of control in depth and how that basically manifests in economics, our schooling system and the language itself. It is very well written and made a lasting impression on me.

- The second world war by Antony Beevor 

I have a lifelong fascination with world war 2 and this is the best book about it i've read. It describes the whole war in detail, all the battles and horrors i believe there are so many lessons u can draw from this subject.

- Mans search for meaning by Viktor Frankl 

Its a real story about an Auschwitz survivor and tells how he survived arguably the worst place ever created. What is very interesting is also that he describes all the emotions he went through and how he used them to find the courage to carry on and never give up, this one is very humbling in my opinion. 

- 1984 by George Orwell

Very well know of course but i think this is a must read and although this is a parody on dictatorships i believe this is more or less possible seeing how humans can be made to believe almost anything when their critical thinking is shut off ( look at North Korea ) it is the complete extreme dictatorship and very interesting because when u see the way this is done on a mass scale u can see this attempt at controlling people on a personal level as well, just apply the basic principles. After reading this book u can see attempts at control from a mile away at least if u read it mindfully.

- The underground history of american education by John Taylor Gatto

About how the school system had come to being, one of the best books i have ever read, i went trough the whole thing 3 times already. The school system is made to create obedient workers necessary for working in the factories during the industrial revolution. Many examples off what an actual education is as well.

So wanted to share these ones and i am interested to know yours. 

Autobiography of a Yogi might be my favourite book. Doesn't really offer much in the way of direct advice other than briefly talking about the art of Kriya Yoga. Really inspirational book though and was the turning point of agnostic to theist for me.

Illusions. Best little nightstand "it's all good, nothing it real" story ever.

Stillness Speaks, Echart Tolle is just awesome. I read it every few years and get a whole new depth out of it. 

But, if you're looking for inspiration and change. Get up at 4am and grab your headphones and jam Man In The Mirror - Michael Jackson. I know how this sounds, but it's a frequency thing. It works. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE