Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
no_name

Liver detox

7 posts in this topic

What is the best way to detox your liver? Is there a diet to follow? How long does it take to detox it? 

By increasing bile flow. You can do this by taking taurine, glycine, milk thistle (silymarin), and phosphatidylcholine, together, preferably on an empty stomach, several times a day (preferably 4). This will also deplete copper levels, which is usually not a bad thing, and can easily be replenished with some nuts. Probably takes a couple weeks.

Edited by The0Self

Great advice above already on specific products. 

In addition, it is a great idea, before you engage in liver detox, to make sure your phase I, II and III nutrients are at optimal level. You dont' want to start sending a swarm of toxins if the liver is not equipped enough to handle it. Google liver Phase I and phase II nutrients for more info on this. 

Secondly you want to make sure your gut health is optimal because eventually, all that stuff needs to be eliminated through stool or urine so it's a good idea to start any liver detox with a bit of gut cleanse as well. If you're having less than 2 bowel movements per day, I would not engage in liver detox. You want to make sure the content of your bowels is moving smoothly and regularly to prevent toxin reabsorbtion or reopening by certain strains of colonic bacteria such as beta-glucuronidase. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

7 hours ago, Michael569 said:

If you're having less than 2 bowel movements per day, I would not engage in liver detox.

Damn, really? I've always had one bowel movement a day, and continue to do so. Excepts for years ago when I was on painkillers, it was more like every 2-3 days.

First make sure you're getting plenty of protein (bare minimum 60-80g per day; preferably 80-120g) and B vitamins ->

Then add sulfur-rich nutrients, methionine, and nrf2 activators such as broccoli ->

Then finally, assuming one is having at least one bowel movement a day, choleretics 4x a day: taurine, glycine, milk thistle (silymarin), and phosphatidylcholine -- taken together, for increased bile flow.

Edited by The0Self

@The0Self the major difference for me was to start using batch cooking with loads of lentils. True, i do get bloated more ? but got me up to 3 solid movemens per day which seems like a good trade-off?

I think I'd say that 1 is good and healthy. 2, if you can is even better but maybe the difference is not as significant as going from less than one per day to one per day

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569

I have done some experimentation to see what does give me more bowel movements, I just didn’t stick with it — maybe I’m just ignorant of the benefits of having 2+ bowel movements per day.

Here were my general findings:

My intake of insoluble fiber is pretty much directly correlated with frequency of bowel movements. So yeah the lentils make sense ? ! Black beans, lentils, and various high-insoluble-fiber foods were incredible... hell, even Frosted Mini Wheats cereal had a noticeable effect! That cereal actually had like 7 grams insoluble per serving — basically almost as much as black beans.

And soluble fiber had the exact opposite correlation. Seems to oppose insoluble fiber.

Just did some quick research and it seems split peas are at the top of the list for highest insoluble/soluble fiber ratio. With lentils pretty high up there as well.

Also two things, besides soluble fiber, give me noticeably less regularity: creatine monohydrate, and any multi-vitamin/mineral supplement (I generally use Pure Encapsulations)... strangely, but that’s what I noticed, in a way that cannot be ignored.

Almost every time I’d take creatine I’d end up skipping a day of bowel movement. And continued use was associated with a marked decrease in regularity. Strange. Speaking of which... Another strange/idiosyncratic supplement reaction I noted was with both taurine and any racemic vitamin E supplement (i.e. dl-alpha tocopherol; unnatural in this case; now I would only ever take d-alpha tocopherol, gamma/mixed tocotrienols, or seeds... if for some reason I needed extra vit. E) — almost if not every single time I’d take either one of those two, I’d get a break out of at least one or two zits... and my skin was almost always totally clear otherwise. I haven’t seen any notion of a trend of anyone else talking about that reaction to those — on Reddit; etc; anywhere I’ve seen. I wonder what could be going on there?

And also, sufficient and extra magnesium intake seemed to noticeably trend toward more bowel movement regularity. I wonder if calcium would have the opposite effect — or perhaps the calcium/phosphate ratio, or maybe even the calcium/magnesium ratio.

The taurine blemish reaction thing seems a bit strange to me simply since, like silymarin (Milk Thistle), taurine can effectively increase bile flow, and silymarin seems rather efficacious for acne prevention and treatment... So from that one might think taurine would at least not cause acne! ? 

Edited by The0Self