Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EternalForest

Science and Wonder

2 posts in this topic

Does science rob us of the wonder in the world or does it add to it?

I feel like there are certain, novel,paranormal things that science does try to explain away and make rational.

But in other ways, such as the mysteries of the universe or in stuff like chemistry, I fee like science only adds to the wonder.

@EternalForest

31 minutes ago, EternalForest said:

Does science rob us of the wonder in the world or does it add to it?

I feel like there are certain, novel,paranormal things that science does try to explain away and make rational.

But in other ways, such as the mysteries of the universe or in stuff like chemistry, I fee like science only adds to the wonder.

A bit of both. In the beginning, when you don't know much about scientific concepts, there's still some wonder, but as you continue to learn more concepts, that initial wonder begins to wane, until it's dry and boring logic. And of course, when a new discovery is made in a scientific field, it reignites that wonder, until the cycle once again makes it mundane.

That process is what put me off of science as a whole. When I was a kid, after watching Jurassic Park, I took a liking to dinosaurs, to the point that I accumulated dinosaur toys, books and even drove myself to read some scientific books about dinosaurs. It wasn't the facts, numbers or the sophisticated wording that explains those dinosaurs that made me like them, it was the presentation, the art and other subjective experiences about dinosaurs that made me imagine those creatures in my mind, that was the main factor, not the dry logic behind them.

Good rule of thumb, if you want to be a scientist, or be successful in life, lead with the right brain more than the left.