MrTouchdown

What is being conveyed when we say "x exists"?

29 posts in this topic

We say that things "exist" or "are"

I can't determine what is being conveyed by that claim quite frankly. Any ideas?

In other words what does the word "exist" really mean? 

Edited by MrTouchdown

What exists is what is perceived right NOW.

-joNi-

Who told you that "others" are real?

Simply put, whatever you perceive is what exists.

Some people, for the sake of conversation, might make distinctions like "you're imagining that, it actually doesn't exist", which is totally fine, but ultimately the imagination of that thing is also something that exists. You can perceive something, and then imagine it to be something other than what you are perceiving, this is possible. The problem is when you believe in your imagination to the point where it becomes indistinguishable from your direct experience aside from imagination.

If someone believes in Santa Claus, what exists is their imagination of Santa Claus being real. But for them, that imagination is indistinguishable from a "real" Santa Claus. It's like someone seeing a mirage in the desert.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

9 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

What exists is what is perceived right NOW.

-joNi-

What does the word "exist" mean?

Edited by MrTouchdown

@Kksd74628 No you explicitly claimed what exists. You didn't say what it means to exist.

Edited by MrTouchdown

@MrTouchdown

Existence means nothing else than what there is. It cannot be explained in any other way. Any other explanation someone else gives to you has some assumptions within in it. I understand that the explanation I give sounds too easy to make any sense, but that is, because "reality" is meaningless.

7 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

@Kksd74628 No you explicitly claimed what exists. You didn't say what it means to exist.

To exist is to be in awareness.  That's it.

@Kksd74628 It's self-evident what exists. You call that existence. Still your fail to explain what "exists" means.

@MrTouchdown

34 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

We say that things "exist" or "are"

I can't determine what is being conveyed by that claim quite frankly. Any ideas?

In other words what does the word "exist" really mean? 

It's not a simple question, but I will attempt a simple answer.  To say something exist is to say that it is knowable.

1 minute ago, Shambhu said:

@MrTouchdown

It's not a simple question, but I will attempt a simple answer.  To say something exist is to say that it is knowable.

Absolutely lovely!

@Shambhu perhaps "to stand out" also works? Or to have an impact? Or to affect?

Edited by MrTouchdown

@MrTouchdown

I will try to say it once again :D. People may use word "exist" differently, but it is meant to mean what there absolutely is. So what there is means what exists. What there are, are clearly only the "perceptions" which happen right NOW. Your question is so empty that it can't be answered any other way.

@MrTouchdown @Shambhu

Its important to add one major word to Shambhu's explanation.

8 minutes ago, Shambhu said:

@MrTouchdown

It's not a simple question, but I will attempt a simple answer. To say something exist is to say that it is knowable NOW.

4 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

@Kksd74628 How can you be sure that what you are unaware of doesn't exist?

There is only one god.

@thisintegrated Still there could be things God is unaware of that exist. You are unaware of the cells in your body. Doesn't mean they don't exist.

@MrTouchdown

Because the definition of what exist is what there is NOW and there clearly is nothing else NOW, but what you perceive. Cells in your body doesn't exist unless you think about them or see them visually through some tool.

3 minutes ago, MrTouchdown said:

@thisintegrated Still there could be things God is unaware of that exist. You are unaware of the cells in your body. Doesn't mean they don't exist.

That is correct.  My cells don't exist unless you'd examine them with a microscope.  If they did exist.. in what form would they exist? And for whom?

Would they exist as visual information for me if I'm not looking at myself?

Would they exist as audio?

In what form would they exist?  If they don't exist in any form whatsoever for anyone, can you really still say they exist in some form?

5 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

@MrTouchdown

Because the definition of what exist is what there is NOW and there clearly is nothing else NOW, but what you perceive. Cells in your body doesn't exist unless you think about them or see them visually through some tool.

You mistake what you are aware of for all that exists. What you perceive is an infinitesimal portion of what exists.