Bernardo Carleial

The Five Laws of Human Stupidity

3 posts in this topic

Before I go any further, I just want to point it out that this is a very partial/atomized and incomplete view on how to perceive stupidity on others, but I decided to share here anyway because it may be helpful to a lot of you guys "for all practical purposes", when dealing with more pragmatic life situations that involves other people. 

That model consists of a chart  with four quadrants, with the purpose ranking "the level of stupidity " of stupidity, by taking in consideration his actions/decisions as to whether one's actions/decisions is harmful to others and to himself or not... 

Now I want to point it out two major flaws that this model has on evaluating "people's stupidity":

1- It neglects the collective: he doesn't take in consideration the societal/cultural aspects the may influence one's perception towards reality, like for example if someone lives in a vMEME Blue ethnocentric environment, a lot of his dogmatic views/tendencies may lead him towards "stupid" conclusions... even the categorization of stupidity by itself  is arbitrary, it is bound to a collective consensus of what consists as harmonious for our human wellbeing into this world...

2- it approaches reality in a very deterministic way: we, or at least most of us, do not have the gift of foresight, and sometimes we have do deal with a level of complexity in our lives that this kind of black-and-white thinking will not suits us at all! Reality can present us with non-linear and chaotic situations that will never fit with this model, because we'll not have the "perfect solution ", but the one that might lead us to the best possible outcome,  in very specific timeframes(vMEME Yellow systems thinking)...

But, even taking these flaws in consideration, I still believe that this model might be very good for us when dealing with minor issues,  specially for people in the vMEME Orange spectrum, when dealing with more mundane life situations in their working environment for example.

What I liked about this chart is that it points to something very important, that I've always had an intuition about it, but couldn't explain it quite well with words: which is that stupidity, and/or ignorance, is not tied to one's cognitive ability,  someone can be very intelligent and still take stupid actions in their lives, and this chart presents us with a suggestion as to why this is the case, and that's why I think this might be a useful tool to share with you guys here??

Before I leave you, I'll present you, guys and gals, with an adaptation of the original chart, but this time presenting each quadrant with two distinct categories, one describes whether one's attitude is conscious or not when dealing with these issues. 

The-social-wheel-Source-authors-elaboration.png

Edited by Bernardo Carleial