LifeandDeath

100% Responsibility

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

i listened to Leo's responsibility vs blame vid, and I'm keen to do further reading on this idea of accepting responsibility even if it's not our fault. 

Anyone have any links or books they can refer me too? 

Matt

I've just ordered the book Extreme Ownership, thanks. 

Has anyone else got any other suggestions? 

I'm struggling with the concept of the need and the practical application to take 100% responsibility, so I'm keen to get some more education on this so I can shift my focus, as I can realise the benefits from thinking this way, but there's resistance in me as I'm struggling in getting my head around the all encompassing definition of "responsibility" in that there's underlying tones of sense of control over things we can't control, especially others, which is stifling me. 

Thanks 

@LifeandDeath You're right in that you can't control things outside of your influence, this is a part of being responsible, in that once you realise this, you stop being a victim to those things and you begin to take charge of the things you can control.

Beyond outer behaviours though, being responsible is mostly about how you respond to situations with your mind and attitude. You internal dialogues and perceptions are what to pay attention to for recognising if you're being responsible, engaging in correct outward behaviours is a by-product of proper inward responsibility-taking 

Thanks Saarah. I think it's the "responding to our environment and others" and our "internal world" that makes sense when applying the 100% responsibility. I'm still keen on getting more resources that apply this idea, other than the one mentioned. Surely 100% responsibility has to have come from a model or practice? 

On 1/29/2017 at 4:28 AM, LifeandDeath said:

Thanks Saarah. I think it's the "responding to our environment and others" and our "internal world" that makes sense when applying the 100% responsibility. I'm still keen on getting more resources that apply this idea, other than the one mentioned. Surely 100% responsibility has to have come from a model or practice? 

The philosophical underpinnings of accepting 100% responsibility for adapting and responding to that which you cannot control via that which you can control are rooted in Stoicism.  Perhaps among other things, but that's a place to start.  You will find that Stoicism provides many practices for this, including techniques such as "negative visualization."  If you can imagine an extreme situation of not having control, Stoic philosopher Epictetus was a former slave.

Edited by eskwire

nothing is anything