Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valach

Was looking for a backup job, got offered a lot of money

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am in a difficult position and need to decide about I suppose about my future right now. I am fairly new to the software development, without that much experience and 3 months ago I started working at a quite known company as a Junior Python dev, mainly writing microservices in Flask. I feel like the team is great and I like the scope of the work as well. I am surrounded by some really skilled people, which is something I was looking for because I wanted to learn solid basics of development and best practices regarding python.

Recently the end of my probation period was getting closer and I guess since I have been experiencing quite a imposter syndrome I started getting nervous, whether the company is going to keep me or not. I asked my manager twice about this on our weekly calls and he told me that he can't tell me yet and he will let me know at the end of the probation period. That stressed me a bit too, since I just moved places and spent all my savings and couldn't really afford to loose an income.

So Just to be safe I decided to go on 2 interviews, to have a backup job in case I don't get to keep the work. I went to the job interviews 2 weeks before the probaton period so it would aligned with me being freed up from a job (just in case). I recieved offers from both the interviews so it called me down quite a bit and I didn't think about it too much.

However one of the offers is kinda interesting to me due to money. It is a web development position in Django. I don't have that much experience in Django myself ( i told them I am a junior), but at least I have 3 months experience in Flask now which is quite similiar. Rest of the requited tech, I was familiar with (like postgres, docker, gitlab, CI/CD). After having the interview I received a phone called from agency, that the team is interested to take me in. I told the lady, that I cannot answer yet (since I was still waiting for my manager to tell me if they are keeping me or not). Couple days later (this week) I asked my manager about it and he told me that he can't still tell me yet and he will let me know at the end of my probation period (which at the time was at like 8 days). I didn't think much about it.

But yesterday the lady from agency called me again, asking if I know already. I told her that I don't and she told me that she understands, but the team needs to know on Monday and that they pump up the offer in terms of money. I am now in a situation that I am getting offered quite a lot of money a junior developer and I would be making 2 times the national average here (and also 80% more than my current job). It is work on contract though, so I might pay a bit more taxes, not sure about that yet.

However I am now super confused, this was supposed to be my backup job, but the money offered threw me away a bit. I am also confused about why they are offering so much since I am junior and whether I would be of an use for them and meet their expectations. I would also have to learn Django in couple of weeks which I think is quite doable.

Now I am not sure at all what to do. Keep my job at very well known company where I can build my resume and learn a lot or go into a smaller team of contract developers to get a lot of money for my country? What would you guys do in my position. Do you have some things you look for when switching jobs.

You learned a good lesson here.

The salary has not as much to do with your skills as it has to do with your perceived value and the need for your skills right now.

That being said of course your skills also matter. So I would do whatever improves my skills the most and continue looking for opportunities along the way. Working at the same place for 50 years usually doesn't get rewared much.

@Valach  I understand the difficult position that puts you in. I also struggled with expectations and deadlines and got very stressed out with worries whilst communicating with companies that made job offers to me.

More money is great, but that should only be a deciding factor if both choices seem good regardless of money.

Here's a question for you to ask yourself:

If I just heard from a psychic that with a 100% certainty, everything is going to work out for me, and I'm always going to have enough money, what choice would I make here?

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@universe @flowboy @nickjoky

Thank you guys for the answers, found them to be quite helpful. Decided to stay in my current job since I enjoy it and learn a lot of useful skills so far.

Might look for better paying job in the future.